• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

LF: Rockpool and Nude.

25197374496_1bd84c87f9_c.jpg

Rock Pool and Nude

Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa Classic VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.4cm X 19.6cm, from a 8x10 Kodak Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens. Signed, stamped, and annotated verso.

The camera back was tilted to place the Scheimpflug plane along the model's body. This has the effect of elegantly, I think, exaggerating the leg line. Even though the rock pool was populated by a few small fish and some crabs the model jumped in either from daring, boldness, or curiosity; I didn't ask. Hard direct sunlight accentuated the contrast between the dark rock and the luminous skin tone. Because the light was very bright she shaded her left eye with a raised arm in order to see the camera and revel in its gaze.

By way of assurance to anxious viewers I offer this picture as an example where an unclad person in front of a camera is not a victim of coercion, duplicity, or exploitation; rather a co-conspirator.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
25197374496_1bd84c87f9_c.jpg

Rock Pool and Nude

Yes, Maris, she's sporting, indeed!

How much dodging and burning do you do on an image like this. The breasts anyway are not tanned and then there's that bright light.

Could you have managed with a base and front standard tilt instead?

Asher

Yes, Maris, she's sporting, indeed!

How much dodging and burning do you do on an image like this. The breasts anyway are not tanned and then there's that bright light.

The lighting was very axial with the camera shadow just out of frame at the bottom. There are virtually no shadows so the brightness span is well within the dynamic range of film and paper. Mercifully no burning or dodging was required.
People who do not disport themselves in salt-water rock pools, should there be any such, don't realise that breasts float. The light skin areas are above water level, the rest submerged.

Could you have managed with a base and front standard tilt instead?
Front standard tilt have would placed the plane of focus just the same but without the geometric distortion of "stretched" legs. I figured that the photograph wasn't biography, portraiture, or documentary but rather about line and form so "bending" it a little would take it in the expressive direction I wanted.

There is a classical precedent for exaggerating a leg line. The Charioteer of Delphi (478 BCE ?) is a spectacularly famous ancient Greek bronze that does exactly this. To good effect, I think.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I believe you have found the solution to sagging breasts, LOL!

Thanks for the education on the Charioteer of Delphi and the "e" on B.C.E.!

Asher