• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja)

Pao Dolina

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja) by Paolo Dolina, on Flickr

The roseate spoonbill (Platalea ajaja) nests in shrubs or trees, often mangroves, laying two to five eggs, which are whitish with brown markings.[11] Immature birds have white, feathered heads, and the pink of the plumage is paler. The bill is yellowish or pinkish.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseate_spoonbill

Location: https://houstonaudubon.org/sanctuaries/high-island/rookery/rookery.html

Paolo,

Where did you find this beautiful and unusual bird? Oh, I now see, Houston Audubon has a sanctuary. I wish I had known when I visited years ago!

I must read more about the place!

How easy is it to see them?

I would so love to share such beauty with my grandchildren!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Paolo,

How many species did you find and what lenses did you use?

This is such a wonderful chance occurrence that in doing a project to maintain a waterway, they end up building a sanctuary that flourishes!

Key thing, they write, was to ban the guys with the guns shooting wild life ....I guess and preventing an ecosystem from building in complexity.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I am attracted to the ideaf building a sanctuary. I’d like to design one near my sculpture by the Pacific Ocean. There’s a lagoon that gets refreshed each night with pumps. I was thinking of putting in a small island with rocks and shrubs and nesting trees to have nectar, seeds, grubs, rodents and insects for birds!

Would it work?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Is this as active a place all year round?

Does one need to focus fast, or are the birds “just there”?

Is this nearby? Perhaps I should visit, LOL! Seems amazing!!

Yes, I plan to contact Audubon!

Asher