• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ruby - throated Hummingbird on Orange Jewelweed

Don Ferguson Jr.

Hummer on Orange Jewelweed last day of summer.
Don

Hummer.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I adore humming birds. This green is beautiful. I wonder whether nature uses entirely different physics to get the same plant colors.

is it due to pigment or selective refraction?

Asher

Asher Kelman

It turns out to be either, or, and both!

Here is the most beautifully illustrated and pleasant to read description of just how nature’s 10,000 species of birds get their amazing colors.

as an example of the quality of the illustrations, look at this:

CE5621AD-223E-42AE-A13B-FE43A38C9172.jpeg

Don Ferguson Jr.

Thanks, Asher and interesting information. She was flying away then coming back and I had to stay a long time getting this shot.
Really enjoyed observing the female hummer out in the wild. You know that they travel alone when going back South to Mexico.
Don

Asher Kelman

Children should be able to name and describe at least 10 birds, animals, insects, moths, butterflies, spiders, mushrooms, poisonous plants, trees, fruits and vegetables etc!

The COVID-19 at home computer based distance schooling would be perfect for teaching about nature!

I suspect they Know tic tov dances, video games and sports figures but I imagine, after age 11, nature could be considered “lame!

Asher