• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Scenic Lake Huron

Robert Watcher

45 minute exposure as ship left - heading out to open water, then off to the left on the horizon —- and waiting ship then entered the harbour with the help of tugboats. Pic was topped off with the tug boat streaking across the scene to settle in for the night. (Live Composite Setting)

657AE07C-0DA2-4B76-B32D-C8E4122DED64.jpeg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Robert,

You have spoiled us with these creative compositions allowed by few cameras and perfected by Olympus!

We instantly recognize your technique to paint moving lights to enrich landcapes, urban scenes and views of ports.

Can it also be used for moving clouds or swirling lengths of cloth?

Asher

Robert Watcher

Robert,

You have spoiled us with these creative compositions allowed by few cameras and perfected by Olympus!

We instantly recognize your technique to paint moving lights to enrich landcapes, urban scenes and views of ports.

Can it also be used for moving clouds or swirling lengths of cloth?

Asher

It can be used for anything I suppose, but I don’t know what benefit that mode would be for what you describe. All it does is add new highlights to a base image with each subsequent exposure. It is a different effect than running a time exposure where everything would blur.

as you can recognize in the photo, the clouds maintained some definition, even after 45 minutes. This happened because I started the exposure when there was still a few minutes of light in the sky. The remaining exposures as the sky turned dark, had nothing to add as far as bright areas - so excessive blurring from a single long exposure did not happen - nor did the overall brightness change - just the streaks and highlights in the water as light sources passed by.

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

This pic may help you see how the use of light is what affects the look of the image, when using Live Composite mode.

This total exposure was about 3 or 4 minutes long (made up of many 4 sec exposures as a result of Live Composite). The lit areas are bright and would never look overexposed, even if I kept going for an hour or more at the same iso and aperture and shutter speed settings.

Camera is in the same position as the one posted above - with the same settings. Nothing changed except, that I took this pic after the one above —- when it was totally dark and the ship had been moved into position and the tugboat had docked on the right side. There were no moving or brighter light sources during the exposure (just a little bit of streaking on the boat lights from its movement), to make it look much different than a time exposure - except there was no need to worry about how long the shutter was open before overexposing.

7C1CAB39-8490-4E3A-BD92-7F463C190188.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

Anne and I headed over to Lake Huron tonight, to just sit and relax in the car for a few hours. I took this shot in Live Composite - starting the exposure when there was a hint of light in the sky. I set the camera to the Vivid colour setting, for a little more intensity. Even with the heavy clouds, Jupiter managed to shine throughwith striking brilliance, at times.

99018249-E39F-416D-A841-3C2574BB6CFB.jpeg

Asher Kelman

Anne and I headed over to Lake Huron tonight, to just sit and relax in the car for a few hours. I took this shot in Live Composite - starting the exposure when there was a hint of light in the sky. I set the camera to the Vivid colour setting, for a little more intensity. Even with the heavy clouds, Jupiter managed to shine throughwith striking brilliance, at times.

With a tripod?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Yes. A ten minute long exposure
135E711E-E528-42D6-A682-1428752FEEF7.jpeg

Robert,

The rich color is so positive and worthwhile!

It makes for a complete statement and not just a snapshot.

You are going to have a really good table book that will be enjoyable to share and it’s a great way of sharing what Canada is about at night. Imagine the trains going over bridges!

Asher