• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Screw it.

Jerome Marot

I have been handed out a souvenir picture after leaving the hospital yesterday.

That part is now fixed. Unfortunately, the shock disturbed the inner ear and I need the so-called Epley maneuver. That cannot be done till this plate and screw are better held by the bone, in about 2 weeks. In the mean time, I will reduce my participation to this forum as my vision is sometimes causing troubles. Don't expect fast answers...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I wish you a speedy recovery, Jerome! What did you do, fall from a horse?

That clavicle fracture must be painful. I’m so sorry!

Asher

Jerome Marot

I wish you a speedy recovery, Jerome! What did you do, fall from a horse?

That clavicle fracture must be painful. I’m so sorry!

In the hospital which treated me, people had glamorous accidents with cars, motorbikes, etc... I experienced something less glamorous, I felt from a ladder. I suppose I hit the head first, hence the bad fall and broken bone. It was not very high.
Luckily, the fracture is not very painful. People told me it usually is very painful, but I don't complain.

Asher Kelman

I need such a metal bridge for my 9th rib. A giant wave knocked me down in Cabo on the Baja Coast and I twisted to shield myGFX as I crashed to the the rocks, to be retrieved, humbled somewhat by my elder son!

It healed, I thought but from my manual labor, to twist bend and reach with that heavy camera, the healing junction ripped open and became chronic!

Asher

James Lemon

Complications. In some cases, a clavicle fracture can move out of place before it heals. It is important to follow up with your doctor as scheduled to make sure the bone stays in position.
If the fracture fragments do move out of place and the bones heal in that position, it is called a "malunion." Treatment for this is determined by how far out of place the bones are and how much this affects your arm movement.
A large bump over the fracture site may develop as the fracture heals. This usually gets smaller over time, but a small bump may remain permanently.

James Lemon

Thank you all for the kind wishes and the extra info about possible complications.

Nothing to be overly concerned about. I have a large lump from a bad fracture that healed with a misalignment of one bone sitting higher than the other. Never has caused me any problems throughout my life.

Jerome Marot

Thank you all a lot for the latest wishes. As I said, my shoulder does not hurt much and everything is expected to heal within a few weeks.

Jerome Marot

Well, I guess the best test will be when holding a camera! (not a smartphone though!)

Indeed, I cannot do so at the moment. I could, if the camera was designed to be used with the left hand. A few models of analog left-handed cameras used to exist, but have had little success and that niche is abandoned by the photographic industry.

cnBQ2Hu.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

Seriously,

.....What’s wrong with an iPhone or Samsung? They are now 13 MP up with brilliant optics and superb pixels and AI built in.

Apart from birds, boardroom and wedding photography, (where they have zero “street credit”, they perform as well as many respected pro level digicams.

Any plant or animal, mountains or river scene can be perfectly enlarged several fold anyway with Topaz AI to give massive prints!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Jerome,

Seriously,

.....What’s wrong with an iPhone or Samsung? They are now 13 MP up with brilliant optics and superb pixels and AI built in.

Apart from birds, boardroom and wedding photography, (where they have zero “street credit”, they perform as well as many respected pro level digicams.

Any plant or animal, mountains or river scene can be perfectly enlarged several fold anyway with Topaz AI to give massive prints!

Asher
Asher,
You're dreaming!
Smartphones are ok for Facebook our Instagram, no more.
Topaz AI reproduces very well all original defaults!
Topaz AI my be good to enlarge good files. Only. It does not do miracles, it just enlarge a bit better than Photoshop.

Asher Kelman

I own an iPhone 7. Is the Xs Max much different?
Absolutely!

I migrated from an iPhone 6+ which I had Only used as a “lightweight walk-around survey shooter” and “aide memoire” to make a list of planned shots for later that evening, towards sunset, with the richer lower angle light, using my professional cameras.

What I discovered is that the new phone recognize scenes and optimizes it and in addition one can zoom in 2 X. I also have a simple clip on 15x macro lens and a wide angle lens.

Also one can use both separate lenses concurrently so after the shot one can dial in the aperture to be applied to only the b.g. com f= 1.4 to f= 16!

Or is one wishes, in continuous mode, the camera takes a series of say 15 shots and one choose the best expression or position of the leaves of a flower or hair blown by the wind!

..... (in addition, even for the iPhone 6, one can use the amazing “Snapseed” app!

You can edit extensively just using a finger to slide the control left or right or perspective up down or left to right. One can even recognize a head and impressively move it up a little for a better pose, or down to look in the shop window!)

So with the double 12 MP camera and Snapseed and Topaz AI to leapfrog to 6 x realistic enlargement for natural textures, the iPhone Xs Max is a godsend for a serious photographer with a broken bone!

I have a broken and so painful 9th left rib and cannot take pain pills!

Without this this fabulous new phone, I would have to use my wide angle Ricoh GR, good mostly for landscapes and gardens or another Ricoh 50 MM GXR which is best for Macro and lacks editing capability and posting online!

Asher

Jerome Marot

I have a broken and so painful 9th left rib and cannot take pain pills!

I am truly sorry to read that. Are you sure nothing can help? There are several kinds of pain medications, maybe some could still be used? Or what about doing what I do overnight and simply apply an ice pack on the painful area?

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

Thanks so much for the care and thoughts! I did t mean to concern anyone!

The issue is that acetaminophen is good for just headache and fever! NSADS, (Motrin, Ibuprofrin, Alieve and the like, cannot be used in anyone with. cardiovascular disease as there is a marked increase in deaths!

I could use narcotics, but that’s plugs up the intestines real bad, ??!

Also, I need to have a clear mind when I am working with steel or large lumber, even observing and instructing a worker!

I have gotten an appointment for an orthopedic surgeon to copy your solution of a platinum bridge with bolts to allow the two ends to stay aligned and heal!

I thought I was just selling you a new phone, not drawing attention to my problems which will pass!

Still you are most considerate and I thank you

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks again! Ice is great for numbing for sure and even more so in acute injury as it limits the extent of damage beyond the direct trauma.

Heat is come to its own, for later and gives some relief!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Back to cameras once more:

My Medium Format Fuji GFX cannot replaced except with the likes of Pentax, Phase One, Leica which have the same level of glass and sensor quality.

So in my studio, I sit in front of my giant main light and hold the heavy camera by hand when necessary or have it on a tripod. But then I have an assistant and can shoot for several hours in that environment.

However, with the considerable costs of assistants, makeup artist, hairstylist and models, it’s pointless to start off with 12MP and merely “good” glass when I can have 50 MP and the finest lenses available!

But for countless other daily photographic needs and artistic whims, the cell phone is perfect! With a busted rib, this is real freedom! ?

So for you, right now with a healing clavicle, the iPhone XS Max could be a game changer and bring you a lot of thrills for your passion of photography!

It just lacks the street creds, that’s all! For that, to mesmerize the folk, the Ricoh GR III, (the pocketable APS-C size sensor camera), is the higher level Pro-choice!

Asher

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
The new phone recognize scenes and optimizes it

the camera takes a series of say 15 shots and one choose the best expression or position of the leaves of a flower or hair blown by the wind!

… One can even recognize a head and impressively move it up a little for a better pose, or down to look in the shop window!)

Asher
Should we turned into a mindless idiots?

Terrible, detestable, we just wait for the smartphone to walk by itself and take the photos while we watch a series on TV ...
Are we finally going to remove the filters and other detestable features that deny people's creativity?
It's like Amazon (for other reasons I NEVER buy thru Amazon) and other online stores, proposing you "Other buyers also liked ..." or worse, "You may also like".
Then I do not have to think, I just have to buy ...
Ridiculous but especially very serious ...

Asher Kelman

Should we turned into a mindless idiots?

Terrible, detestable, we just wait for the smartphone to walk by itself and take the photos while we watch a series on TV ...
Are we finally going to remove the filters and other detestable features that deny people's creativity?
It's like Amazon (for other reasons I NEVER buy thru Amazon) and other online stores, proposing you "Other buyers also liked ..." or worse, "You may also like".
Then I do not have to think, I just have to buy ...
Ridiculous but especially very serious ...
I think you might have misinterpreted the live feature. It’s essentially using the electronic shutter to take a sequence of images as one would with an 8-12 frames per second DSLR or mirrorless equivalent.

iPhones now do that but call it “Live view”. They are actually capable of taking thousands of frames per second but then they would need to be able to off load them fast too!

So nothing is foreign to you so far. The filters are those one chooses to use afterwards from “clarity” all the way to toning a monochrome masterpieces.

Where it’s valuable, Nicholas is using two lenses to reproduce the effects of physics we only see in heave wide aperture lenses.

What’s wrong with that!

What will be wrong with each pixel working independently so that no site has too few or too many photons collected?

Asher

Jerome Marot

I have gotten an appointment for an orthopedic surgeon to copy your solution of a platinum bridge with bolts to allow the two ends to stay aligned and heal!

I feel a bit silly telling this since you are the medical doctor and I am not, but there are smaller solutions than the plate and screws. For a collar bone ruptured near the middle, the surgeon uses a wire to attach the two pieces together. That is far less invasive surgery and may even be removed under local anaesthesia in some cases. That may be a better solution for a rib bone.

There is another problem I was warned about: the capacity to synthesise Vitamin D from UV diminishes with age, so that it may be insufficient even under the California sun. Maybe a moderate additional supply of Vitamin D would help you better regrow that rib bone?