• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Scrubs are for the OR

fahim mohammed

p1901823325.jpg

Training to be a pediatric neurosurgeon, I hope my son passes some of our traditional crafts to his offspring...tent making or camel and horseback riding.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
p1901823325.jpg

Training to be a pediatric neurosurgeon, I hope my son passes some of our traditional crafts to his offspring...tent making or camel and horseback riding.

Fahim,

I'd have thought this was a picture restored from a glass negative of 1920! It is quite noble looking!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I can imagine him writing, but can't hear it! So, select one gem of his for us, then, Fahim! Could you provide a copy in transliterated Arabic for the English reader but with the Arabic sounds and then its translation. Or else a recording in Arabic in place of the transliterated version.

Asher

Asher Kelman

p1901823325.jpg

Well, Fahim, your son is following a noble tradition and what permits us to recall far off lessons about the peaks of Arabic advanced learning that brought light to bring Europe from the Dark Ages. Of that scholarship and art, the famed physicians, chemists, poets and explorers fascinated me the most.

Unfortunately, their poetry, so widely lauded in all texts on the subject, is beyond my reach without some find of a transliterated set of verses and in addition some English, French, German, Italian or Hebrew translation that I could reach to appreciate. I am sure the better informed could name many examples, but alas, I'm not in that select class, as of yet!

Asher

fahim mohammed

I have not yet come across a transliteration of say an Arabic poem into English ( I cannot speak of French, German etc ).

I have seen plenty of examples of transcription..that is how a word might be pronounced and written in the target language.

Arabic poetry and Language is a compulsory subject throughout school and even in the first few years of uni. Just as Islamic Law in Medicine is a compulsory subject during the course of med school.

It is not easy to understand for native Arabic speakers, let alone transliteration and/or transcription.

Let me check with my kids and some friends and shall get back, when I have something relevant.

Regards.

Asher Kelman

Well Fahim, I discovered an interesting site to check here.

Tell me if the reader does a good job and expresses the song and soul of the poetry too.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Brings back my school days!!

Qays, is one of the most important poets of those times.

Translation is mostly correct.

But the soul is missing. The recital by Trablousi is more how the poems might be rendered. Omar...well
no soul in his rendering at all. The rise and fall...the tempo..

The soul is missing. Give me some time; I shall try and find a recording of how some of these verses might be read.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

Asher, listen to this:

Poetry Recital
Sadly I do not understand Arabic. But in any case, the lector's enunciation sounds to me to be exquisite.

It is a shame that in the US rarely are things read with really good enunciation.

Or written with good grammar.

Or good orthography.

Or the benefit of a good vocabulary.

And with clear thought behind the writing.

And that's only the contracts my clients put before me!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Doug,

The was a time when the Caliphate covered southern Spain. Here Moorish influences still abound if one has a good guide. Read this.

fahim mohammed

Hi, Fahim,

Sadly I do not understand Arabic. But in any case, the lector's enunciation sounds to me to be exquisite.

And that's only the contracts my clients put before me!

Best regards,

Doug

The translation of the first poem Of Imr'l Qays is provided in the reference given by Asher. This is the same poem.

As to contracts...it is the same all over, Doug :)

Thanks.

Regards to Carla and yourself.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

The translation of the first poem Of Imr'l Qays is provided in the reference given by Asher. This is the same poem.
Well, the translation is given in the commentation to the video.

The Poem of Imru al Qays

Stop, oh my friends, let us pause to weep over the remembrance of my beloved.
Here was her abode on the edge of the sandy desert between Dakhool and Howmal.
The traces of her encampment are not wholly obliterated even now.
For when the South wind blows the sand over them the North wind sweeps it away.
The courtyards and enclosures of the old home have become desolate;
The dung of the wild deer lies there thick as the seeds of pepper.
On the morning of our separation it was as if I stood in the gardens of our tribe,
Amid the acacia-shrubs where my eyes were blinded with tears by the smart from the bursting pods of colocynth.
As I lament thus in the place made desolate, my friends stop their camels;
They cry to me "Do not die of grief; bear this sorrow patiently."

etc.​

Regards to Carla and yourself.

Carla joins me in sending regards. She loved hearing the poem read.

Doug

Charlotte Thompson

fahim

This portrait is just "outstanding" !! let me tell you there is poetry in this photograph you have done-
you are the poet- Just love this photo!!

Charlotte-

fahim mohammed

fahim

This portrait is just "outstanding" !! let me tell you there is poetry in this photograph you have done-
you are the poet- Just love this photo!!

Charlotte-

Today is the 5th of the 12th month of the Islamic Calendar. On the 10th of this month, we celebrate Eid-Ul-Adha.

So Charlotte, Maggie, Asher, Doug, Antonio, Katie, Cem and all other friends at OPF...

p860646870.jpg

May Allah's Peace and Blessings be with us all.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

Today is the 5th of the 12th month of the Islamic Calendar. On the 10th of this month, we celebrate Eid-Ul-Adha.

So Charlotte, Maggie, Asher, Doug, Antonio, Katie, Cem and all other friends at OPF...

p860646870.jpg

Indeed, and the same to you and Ayesha (although I know you are included in "us").

And thanks for the lovely calligraphy.

Best regards,

Doug

Beautiful portrait of your son, Fahim. It is very classic and although it was taken recently, it holds a sense of tradition in it and could have been taken a hundred years ago. I can feel how proud you are of him when I read your words, as well you should be.

I listened to the poem before reading the words. The voice was beautiful, deep and mesmerizing. The only Arabic poet I knew before this was the well-known Khalil Gibran from a book, The Prophet, my mom gave me in my late teens. After listening to this tonight, I tried to find someone reading his poetry in Arabic but was not successful.

The calligraphy is beautiful also. Thank you for your kind wishes,

عيد مبارك ( I hope this is correct, if not please excuse my ignorance)
Maggie

fahim mohammed

Beautiful portrait of your son, Fahim. It is very classic and although it was taken recently, it holds a sense of tradition in it and could have been taken a hundred years ago. I can feel how proud you are of him when I read your words, as well you should be.

I listened to the poem before reading the words. The voice was beautiful, deep and mesmerizing. The only Arabic poet I knew before this was the well-known Khalil Gibran from a book, The Prophet, my mom gave me in my late teens. After listening to this tonight, I tried to find someone reading his poetry in Arabic but was not successful.

The calligraphy is beautiful also. Thank you for your kind wishes,

عيد مبارك ( I hope this is correct, if not please excuse my ignorance)
Maggie

Thank you so very much Maggie. We are all , indeed, proud of him.

Khalil Gibran is very famous as a writer. Excellent. His poetry refers back to a poet from ' Waqt al-jahilia ' or what we call ' age of ignorance '..Abi Sulema.

Here is one of the most famous poets' recital. The poetry belongs to Al-Mutanabi.

verses of al-mutanabi

Browse the other poems too.

Best wishes.

Cem_Usakligil

p860646870.jpg

Eid Mubarak Fahim & family. Peace and blessings to all of us.

PS:
Eid al-Adha in 2013 is on Tuesday, the15th of October. Based on sightability in North America, in 2013 Eid al-Adha will start in North America a day later - on Wednesday, the16th of October. Note that in the Muslim calander, a holiday begins on the sunset of the previous day, so observing Muslims will celebrate Eid al-Adha on the sunset of Monday, the14th of October.

fahim mohammed

Actually ' ADHA " refers to the performance of the sacrifice of ( lamb, cow, camel ). Until that sacrifice is performed those performing the Pilgrimage are not absolved from certain restrictions that they have to observe.

Tonight, Monday evening after sunset the Pilgrims set out from the Plain of Arafat to stay the night in Muzdulefah ( spelling! ). Generally, those physically capable, shall leave early after sunrise Tuesday to Mina. That is where they shall perform the sacrifice.

Those not performing the Pilgrimage ( me e.g. ) shall perform the sacrifice tomorrow. Actually one has a total of 3 days to perform the sacrifice ( including Tuesday-15/10/2013 ).

We perform the Eid prayers Tuesday ( those not performing the Pilgrimage ). Those on the Pilgrimage are absolved from the Eid prayers as they shall be attending to other compulsory activities.

So in reality Tuesday 15/10/2013 is Eid Al-Adha.

BTW, Eid Al-Adha must follow the day after the Stand in the Plains of Arafat. That cannot be altered. That is Tuesday, 15/10/2013.

fahim mohammed

Thanks Cem. Best wishes to you and yours too.

Here is the same person, a little younger..

p902150205-5.jpg

Here the 2 brothers...

The one on your left is a consultant radiologist now...

p579022191.jpg

The one on the right is, of course, the subject of this thread.