• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Seeing like a Master" by Alain Briot

Chris Kresser

Great points, Tim! I agree that the focal length limitation can be very useful for anyone, whether they are new to photography or professionals. Like yourself, I still often purposefully limit myself to a single focal length. I fact, I only own two lenses for my 5D and one other camera (Ricoh GX100) - and sometimes that seems like too many choices. I continue to toy with the idea of using one camera and one lens for a significant period - six months, perhaps - but I haven't yet taken the leap.

Best,
Chris

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I totally agree that projects can benefit from no 'focal length restriction' - but I also think that for Rachel's specific objective, it helps during the first learning project to cut out as many variables as possible otherwise one starts to think of technique rather than narrative. Of course when one has learned how to make the narrative work, one can throw as much variety of technique at it as one wants!

But even for the experienced photographer I think the discipline is useful sometimes. I recently shot an entire project in one day on a Sigma DP1 and was able to get ten good shots for a framed series in about half a day, just because the limitations of the camera had already enforced a degree of conformity of 'look' and of looking.

It might suit Rachel's natural tendency towards a minimalistic style too!
I think I know Rachel a little now and feel that limiting options for one trial is worthwhile. I myself use one lens for each project. It helps to give a related look that can help the thematics.

Asher

Rachel Foster

That's an idea I've not considered. It's very intriguing. In my training as a research psychologist, I learned the value of controlling extraneous variables. This is a sound technique, and one I'd not thought to apply to "art."

This discussion in this thread has been amazing. I want to thank Alain for writing the article that sparked the thread as well as his generous, subsequent contributions. In fact, everyone who took the time to comment here added a great deal to the discussion and I've taken away some ideas and guidance that are valuable and appreciated.

I hope that some of the experienced photographers might have also gotten something from reading the thread.

On an aside....I just gave my new 24 105 IS a trial spin. HOLY TOLEDO! Good glass makes a big difference! (I offer this not for composition, but to show how much better the quality of image is than what I normally obtain.)

smallflowers.jpg

Alain Briot

pro member
This discussion in this thread has been amazing. I want to thank Alain for writing the article that sparked the thread as well as his generous, subsequent contributions. In fact, everyone who took the time to comment here added a great deal to the discussion and I've taken away some ideas and guidance that are valuable and appreciated.

Rachel,

You are welcome :)

Rachel Foster

Ah, now only if the neophyte had all the money to pay for the equipment and guidance all at once! It is so very very hard to prioritize and make those choices. I recently made a bad choice and went to a PPA sponsored workshop that I was ill-suited for.