• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Administrative: Server Upgrade

What days of the week do you use OPF the least?

• Sunday

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Monday

• Tuesday

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wednesday

• Thursday

• Friday

• Saturday

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OPF will be going offline for an upgrade at some point in the next few days once the test site on the new server is stable.

During this process there will between a 4 and 52 hour outage of the site. The actual transfer of site content will take roughly 4 hours. During this time the old server will display a message that the forums are turned off. Once the data is transferred the DNS will be changed. Typically DNS changes take an hour or two here in the PNW of the USA. But the standards allow for DNS changes to take 24 to 48 hours to occur.

This DNS change could take varied and potentially long periods of time to propagate to more geographically diverse locales. This complication is expected.

I will post additional information to this thread as I become aware of it. An administrative notice will go out at the top of pages pointing to this thread once I have a more definite time frame.

It is always best to put actual dates in the body of this sort of message.

When the testing in the new environment is done, then I will post a date and time. I will try to give roughly 24 hours notice of the time.

And myself, I favor advance warning of the date. The only reason for the announcement was I took the site down for a short period earlier. The notice should go away tomorrow and a new announcement will give the final date and time.

all the best,

Sean

My apologies to all. Due to security limitations in vBulletin and the way DNS is configured, I am awaiting vendor feedback before moving forward.

To this end I have added a poll as I need a grasp on the most affected users patterns of usage. This will be compared to server logs for a reality check and a date for the changeover to the new server will be chosen from this data.

The poll is open for a week, but I may choose a date before that week is up. I will aim for 24 hours notice regardless of the time chosen.

thank you very much,

Sean

OPF will be going offline for an upgrade ...

OPF will be going offline for an upgrade at between 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm PST (GMT-8) Tuesday 3rd November 2009.

Updated times will be maintained on the OPF Forums Front Page and when the changeover of the DNS occurs a final notice will go up. At that point you will have to wait until the DNS change propagates to you. I have found the changeover time to the PNW from the DNS provider to be in the 15 minute range. Other parts of the world may vary.