• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Severe Buick

Jim Galli

SevereGrills.jpg

severe buick

When I was small I wondered what these Buick's were so mad about.

I drove 7 hours saturday to look at an antique Ford panel truck in view of a purchase. The lady also had this Buick, not for sale because it was her mothers car.

Cem_Usakligil

Wonderful! My dad had one of those when I was a small kid but I still remember that front very well. It was one huge car built like a brick. We had a near deadly accident which has totaled the car, but the strong steel front bumper/fender has saved our lives when we had been hit at front left by an oncoming truck/lorry! Thanks for tickling those near forgotten memories :),

Cheers,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Thanks Jim!
Another souvenir comes to me with 'your' Buick.

As Cem, when I was young (looooong time ago) my father in law did buy one of these. In France second hand Buick were quite cheap because nobody wanted them cause their gas consumption, he even didn't have really the money for it, but this was his way of living…

We were a quite poor family at that time, but we felt like kings, Queen and princes when he drove the car with all of us inside! Think… 1960 (or 61?) in a poor south of France village, that buick was just like a thunderstorm, though I can still remember it's soft and cool music from the engine…

Thanks for sharing, today I'll feel like a little kid and that's not so bad!

PS I can also remember we had quite a lot of empty gas tank breakdown, had to hitch hike to the next gas station… LoL!

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Jim,

The picture has disappeared, for your info...

@Nicolas: yes it was a huge gas guzzler, wasn't it? There were many to be found in Turkey in my youth, like many other American cars from the 50's. Another car my dad had was a Chevrolet Bel Air 57!! Re. the Buick, I really liked the sound of the engine and driving in it was like being the king of the road :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
SevereGrills.jpg

severe buick

When I was small I wondered what these Buick's were so mad about.

I drove 7 hours saturday to look at an antique Ford panel truck in view of a purchase. The lady also had this Buick, not for sale because it was her mothers car.
The shapes were amazing, Jim!

I love that set of teeth and the look, don't mess with me!

This was part of our love affair with the car!

Go figure what's next!

Asher

Jim Galli

The shapes were amazing, Jim!

I love that set of teeth and the look, don't mess with me!

This was part of our love affair with the car!

Go figure what's next!

Asher

Wonderful! My dad had one of those when I was a small kid but I still remember that front very well. It was one huge car built like a brick. We had a near deadly accident which has totaled the car, but the strong steel front bumper/fender has saved our lives when we had been hit at front left by an oncoming truck/lorry! Thanks for tickling those near forgotten memories :),

Cheers,

Thanks Jim!
Another souvenir comes to me with 'your' Buick.

As Cem, when I was young (looooong time ago) my father in law did buy one of these. In France second hand Buick were quite cheap because nobody wanted them cause their gas consumption, he even didn't have really the money for it, but this was his way of living…

We were a quite poor family at that time, but we felt like kings, Queen and princes when he drove the car with all of us inside! Think… 1960 (or 61?) in a poor south of France village, that buick was just like a thunderstorm, though I can still remember it's soft and cool music from the engine…

Thanks for sharing, today I'll feel like a little kid and that's not so bad!

PS I can also remember we had quite a lot of empty gas tank breakdown, had to hitch hike to the next gas station… LoL!

Thank you all for this un-expected pleasure. I am now picturing these Buicks like dinosaurs roaming narrow streets in foreign (to me at least) lands and how uncommon that must have been.

SteeringWheelS.jpg

tarnished chrome

Alas, these wonderful dinosaurs will never return. We were so innocent then and there were so few of us. The world was only 1/3 full of people then. There was room for cars this size and pollution had not been invented.

My dad also had one about 1962. It was a 1952 model. He held that Buick's would get "tinny". That was his word but the 1952 had been garage kept and he felt it hadn't gotten that way yet. My memory was that it was slow and sophisticated in it's manner like an elegant gentleman with a cane. You didn't expect it to leap to the next stop light like a Ford.

fahim mohammed

Jim, such an appropriate title for such a beautifully portrayed angry but gentle monster.

Really apprpriate.

Best.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Us too

We had one about 1960 too. Actually, I have a photograph of me standing next to it. With the big grill. Buick Roadmaster. I will have to scan it and upload it.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I was scared too

Those old cars with the menacing front grills scared me too. I would not walk in front of them for years.

But pose for Mom's Kodak Brownie...yes. Mom could never load the film right so most of her snapshots have some blotches on them. I remember going to the camera store so they could load the film for her. This isn't perect but I grew up on that street and this photo reminds me a lot of being outside there playing with all the other kids - a number of which are my facebook friends if not real friends today. Oh - this is 1960 and I was 4 in the photo.

612398107_kvem5-L.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Lovely!
Even the car seems smiling with its turned front wheel and unparralleled postion toward the walkway!

BTW Brownie (I had one!) was a 6x6 format, I guess that the crop (severe!) is to avoid a larger black zone due to your Mom's home made blotch?

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
All the photos

All the photos from the camera are this size - maybe from the lab? A bunch are 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 but then there are a whole collection of them that are this size so there is no info about why. I scanned it including the border and only made a slight contrast adjustment.

Jom, these are beautifully executed pictures. I also love the look of that lens. It's amazing how few people even know that a lens can produce such a look, in today's age of small miniature plastic wonders.

You are also among the few who use lenses for their character, and not because of their optical superiority. I have to plead guilty to having been in both camps, but since swithing entirely to film, lens character also means a lot more to me these days than optical superiority.

Could you let us know a bit about the process? Were these scanned from film (which I suspect) or from wet prints?

Also, I don't know what camera you use, but shooting wide open like this, it's possible to hand-hold I imagine, especially using a rangefinder-focusing 4x5 camera like a Linhof Technika or Speed Graphic. I am intrigued as to your technique.

Jim Galli

Jom, these are beautifully executed pictures. I also love the look of that lens. It's amazing how few people even know that a lens can produce such a look, in today's age of small miniature plastic wonders.

You are also among the few who use lenses for their character, and not because of their optical superiority. I have to plead guilty to having been in both camps, but since swithing entirely to film, lens character also means a lot more to me these days than optical superiority.

Could you let us know a bit about the process? Were these scanned from film (which I suspect) or from wet prints?

Also, I don't know what camera you use, but shooting wide open like this, it's possible to hand-hold I imagine, especially using a rangefinder-focusing 4x5 camera like a Linhof Technika or Speed Graphic. I am intrigued as to your technique.

Thanks for the kind words and having a look. Lenses that have some buzz to their personality invariably must be used at or near wide open. Usually by f8 the show is over. That equates to some fast shutter speeds out of doors even with slow films. This was shot at 1/800 second with a mid 1920's 5X7 Speed Graphic camera that has the focal plane shutter.

The Achromatic Meniscus doublet is not what I'd call easy to focus so a tripod helps immensely. You can see numbers on a license plate (or whatever) actually reach their optimal focus within the relative buzz but a solid support is probably necessary.

These are film scans inverted. My experience is that the wet darkroom print will always be superior to what you see here, but the computer definitely has overtaken proof prints for a first look. Often those are good enough to share, which is what I've done with these. I scan in RGB and since I develop with PyroCatechol the negs have a nice yellow brown tint to them. I'm a lover of warm blacks even in the wet darkroom but will admit with the scans I usually leave about 7% in Hue/Saturation. Sometimes like the second picture I'll leave quite more just because the antique brown seems to fit well. Artistic license here and very likely I wouldn't match that tint perfectly in the wet darkroom unless I resorted to platinum / palladium printing.