• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Sharing the Passion and The Pride of a Violinist with the Orchestra!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
There's a whole etiquette in how musicians support one another in their performances on stage. In particular, when a fellow orchestra member or guest artist performs as a soloist, there's an amazing shared delight in the the bringing of music to life. Each time, it has to be fresh like the wind from the sea, the voice of a nightingale or the daffodils in spring. It's always new. In fact the musicians publicly bring to life once more the expression of musicians miles away or of eons past. Each occasion is a celebration. Well, I've taken to watching the young musicians in the Conservatory Orchestra of The Colburn School. Now that I've photographed them as a group, I'm interested in them as individuals within that structure. You too may wonder what it's like. I'll try to being this to you though commentary and images as I learn to look at what happens in between what happens.

The other musicians look to the soloist not only for the musical virtuosity which they'll deliver, but also as a fellow creator of a grand performance, where they each contribute as individuals in the sections of the orchestra and then as a whole or in parts with the artist playing n the spotlight.

This is an especially personal and fulfilling experience after of months of preparation under the Direction of Maestro Yehuda Gilad. Even, wth a guest conductor coming a short while beforehand, everything has been prepared with mastery of the work. The soloist's job and the task of the visiting conductor then, is to extending their own fingerprints on the delivery of the piece. It has to be delivered in a fresh but yet always an utterly accomplished way. The orchestra members feel a bond with the artist and are visibly moved and thrilled when things go as they all hope.

As a photographer of classical music performance, I've been privileged, not just to experience the music and appreciate the energy and verve of the delivery. There's a lot more going on! But one has to watch the musicians; how they welcome each other and the guest artists, wait, listen, play and light up. There's a dynamic structure. There's etiquette, camaradarie, private space and then disciplined musicianship working as a unified body under the baton of the conductor.

So here, I'll add some moments which show a little of that joy.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Shorty I'll post pictures taken at of the Colburn Conservatory Orchestra performing in Pasadena December 2009, showing some of these special moments. I have only just started on this observation.

Asher

The next performance in February at Zipper Auditorium, The Colburn School, Grand Avenue LA, opposite Walt Disney Concert Hall, http://www.colburnschool.edu Tickets free! don't bring a camera!!!