• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shooting tethered with a Pentax 645D

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi
just FYI, today I tried the Pentax software to shoot tethered…
After having updated the camera firmware to 1.20, installed on the Mac (under Lion OS) the "Pentax image Transmitter" and set a hot folder in C1, I've been able to shoot tethered tests at first shot : )
Time lag between pressing the shutter and image to appear in C1 is 15s.
I can't compare to other system(s) but it seems quite acceptable speed.
Please note that no settings can be done from the computer, the only thing you can set is :
"Focus and release" or "release only". You can also save or not to the SD card in the same time.
Of course the in camera setting was to shoot DNG and not PEF.

BTY I have send a request to Pentax marketing dept. to give what needed to Phase so PEF files from the 645D can be supported by C1. If you're in the same case, it will help a lot if you send your own request to Pentax marketing guys (wherever).

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi
just FYI, today I tried the Pentax software to shoot tethered…
After having updated the camera firmware to 1.20, installed on the Mac (under Lion OS) the "Pentax image Transmitter" and set a hot folder in C1, I've been able to shoot tethered tests at first shot : )
Time lag between pressing the shutter and image to appear in C1 is 15s.
I can't compare to other system(s) but it seems quite acceptable speed.
Please note that no settings can be done from the computer, the only thing you can set is :
"Focus and release" or "release only". You can also save or not to the SD card in the same time.
Of course the in camera setting was to shoot DNG and not PEF.

BTY I have send a request to Pentax marketing dept. to give what needed to Phase so PEF files from the 645D can be supported by C1. If you're in the same case, it will help a lot if you send your own request to Pentax marketing guys (wherever).

Nicolas,

You're correct, Pentax needs to share it's SDK with Phase One or remain crippled in this respect. What do you think is the cause of the slow transfer speed? How fast is a 40MB phase one or Leaf? Did you ever check the Sinar tethered? I'll contact them. Send me the European address so I can do that right away while I work through the US hierarchy.

For architecture, 15 seconds and a great image is still workable. For people, this is rather slow. However,
with LF film, that would be very fast, LOL! So I am sure it would still be worthwhile.

Thanks for sharing. This is important information! :)

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonsoir Asher
sorry for the delay replying…
One must remember that a DNG file from the Pentax 645D "weighs" between 45 to 75 Mb…
Also, the USB 2 on a Mac is not very fast…
No, I never shot the HY6 tethered, you'll find Sinar address there