• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Slavery Worldwide Today!

Lee Tracy

Right now there are approximately 27 million people who are enslaved in various parts of the world. When you start to investigate the history of slavery there are very few people who have not been touched by it in some way, there are very few nations / people who haven't practised it at some point in their history (right up to today), and even fewer who haven't been enslaved at some point (again still ongoing right up to today). If we truly felt that strongly about the issue - lets do something about it EVERYWHERE! The fact that there are still people being bought and sold in the 21st Century is something we should all be ashamed of regardless of race, colour, flavour, creed. Forget one stupid damn flag - and focus on the truly important stuff - the 27 million people who are ENSLAVED RIGHT NOW!

How about the children who are trafficked? And the people who still sell their children as slaves because of poverty? Or the women who sold as sex-slaves? These issues are not limited to one nation, or one racial group - they are universal and quite frankly utterly unacceptable. So while you are debating a stupid damn flag - let's take a moment for a reality check. A stupid piece of coloured cloth is meaningless in the face of the fact that somewhere right now, as I am typing this some human being is being sold. In Afghanistan, a man is being exchanged for the price of dog, and the dog is regarded as more valuable. In North Africa slaves mine salt, in India they make bricks, in Central Africa and South America they mine gold. In Asia they are held as sex-slaves. The list is long. There are slaves in Nepal, Afghanistan, Thailand, India, Japan, Congo, North Africa, South America - even right in your own backyard - there are slaves in the US.

So what are you doing about that? Or is arguing about a flag more important? It is utterly shameful that the slave trade still exists. Let's focus on what is important, not on a stupid piece of cloth.

20 WAYS YOU CAN HELP END HUMAN TRAFFICKING

Not For Sale | Working to End Slavery And Human Trafficking

End Human Trafficking Now

Hope for Justice | Ending human trafficking and slavery in the US

Lee Tracy

imrs.php

This map shows where the world’s 30 million slaves live. There are 60,000 in the U.S.

imrs.php

Lee Tracy

World%20map%20of%20slavery_0.jpg

Brick works in India

slaves%20India%20survey_0_0.jpg

Gold mine in Ghana:

Lisa_Kristine_com-Mercury-Water-Gold-Mine-Ghana-615.jpg

Rescued from slavery in a fishing village:

Lisa_Kristine_com-Freedom-Ghana-615.jpg

Gold mine in Burkina Faso:

20130206_Burkina_Faso_00024-277-Edit_slideshow.jpg

Istanbul:

girl-sex-slaves-2-resized.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Lee,

Commendations for acting as a messenger for all this important and heart-rending information on slavery.

What we would need now is to see new threads with attributions to the photographer and some detail on individual stories. Nothing is more powerful than a direct human connection to the individual reporters, victims, detectives and perpetrators.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Lee,

The social topic (almost) aside, these are all photographically stunning, each in its own way.

My favorite (maybe) is "Gold mine in Burkino Faso". Still, there is a special magic in "Brick works in India".

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

These are photos made by you?
If not, what's about the copyrights?

Good point, Wolfgang. See my post # 5, above, on exactly this subject! ?

In the USA, we are permitted, under "Fair Use Doctrine" to use anything for editorial or educational comment as long as there is attribution and not the entire article or profit.

So, yes, this is very important to all of us to respect creative rights of others.

Of course, in other jurisdictions, there could be different laws. However, for the charts, it's likely that the organization that produced them would value highly the extra distribution through OPF posting here.

Still, we have to show respect by conscientious attribution!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Wolfgang,

These are photos made by you?
If not, what's about the copyrights?

It is important to note that the author of the message did not (seemingly) copy those images into her message (copying is the matter that is governed by the doctrine of copyright). She merely provided links to where they appear, visible by anyone, in such a way they would be automatically retrieved by the viewer's browser and displayed in her message.

Yes, I understand that there are ample legal opinions that doing so is, nevertheless, a violation of the copyright. Yet providing a link such that the image does not automatically appear in the message, so that the reader would have to "click on the link" to see the image, would not be a copyright violation.

I do not agree with that rather tortured concept. But then I am not an attorney (except of course when I represent myself in legal actions).

Best regards,

Doug

Lee Tracy

Sorry, I have been recovering from a small fall.

I was helping unload firewood, and couldn't see my own two feet. Landed face first in the pile of wood I was carrying. Managed to bruise my knees and sadly ... somehow my index finger which makes typing painful. The knees are fine, its the finger that is giving me woe! It's my camera clicky finger too :(

Asher Kelman

Forget about copyright for now. Just post on the O.P.'s topic!

These are magnificent and moving pictures.

@Lee,

Wish you better. Be careful!

Asher

Lee Tracy

Reposted with links and attribution:

Brick works in India

slaves%20India%20survey_0_0.jpg

Photograph G.M.K. Akash

Linked article on the photographer, highlighting child labour http://www.zoriah.net/blog/2009/04/guest-photographerphotojournalist-gmb-akash-child-labor.html

Gold mine in Ghana:

Lisa_Kristine_com-Mercury-Water-Gold-Mine-Ghana-615.jpg

Attribution - Lisa Christine who focuses on modern day slavery

http://www.lisakristine.com/

Rescued from slavery in a fishing village:

Lisa_Kristine_com-Freedom-Ghana-615.jpg

Attribution - Lisa Christine who focuses on modern day slavery

http://www.lisakristine.com/

Gold mine in Burkina Faso:

20130206_Burkina_Faso_00024-277-Edit_slideshow.jpg

Nine-year-old Karim Sawadogo stands on bracing timbers inside one of the many gold pits at the Kowekowera mining village in southwestern Burkina Faso.

Attribution - Larry C. Price

Istanbul:

girl-sex-slaves-2-resized.jpg

This seems to be an unattributed widely available image found on many sites dealing with the issue of human trafficking.

This is the article I found this image on - https://shariaunveiled.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/ngo-reports-over-100000-sex-slaves-in-turkey-and-half-of-them-are-children/

FYI I do not condone the anti-Islamic stance of the website, but they do have several articles on the issue of human trafficking / slavery in various countries such as Turkey and Afghanistan

Lee Tracy

Forget about copyright for now. Just post on the O.P.'s topic!

These are magnificent and moving pictures.

@Lee,

Wish you better. Be careful!

Asher

Thanks I am fine - finger just sore! Well so are my knees but only when I poke them. Finger needed for typing and camera - this is far more important!! LOL

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Saturday Arvo and browsing.
Bloody hell! The things you read.
I know about slavery. It's a sore on our society. It's not just localized. The fact that most ignore it is just as damning. I can be just as conscious of the colour of Australia on the map as I am of the number of people in Australia who know or care enough to do something, including myself.
This is always a worthwhile topic to raise and discuss.
But, alas, I am damned to be pleased.
What the **** does copyright have to do with this issue? And why would anyone in their right mind notice a slight infringement for a worthy cause and make it the subject matter of the thread?
Christine, who is a expert on these things, would suggest that the person to blame for such insidious nit picking is either autistic or psychopathic.

You know, there's nothing that can bring a conversation worth having to a halt faster than telling the speaker his fly is undone.

I am amazed at you lot some days.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Thank you Antonio.
If we are going to talk about world events and ongoing disasters such as slavery, the least we can do is to ensure the slaves look good and the photos are salable.

Asher Kelman

Slavery...
Does this count ?
It was in India

i-QKsmCrg-X2.jpg

Antonio,

"Does it count?" Only you and they know if they are slaves. The poor still own the dust on their heads, but not slaves!

We do not want to travel the path of using words loosely, as in the USA where Rape includes "date-rape" and is rape just like pulling a girl from her parents bedroom and busing her. Poverty is also tragic but there's at least a very slight glimmer of hope left in every new generation. Slavery, however has no recourse.

I am careful because otherwise one could say that a Ph.D. Chemist working in a pharmaceutic company testing chemicals on the eyes of rabbits is now a slave to the corporation or similarly, the thousands on night shift in China making Apple iPhones is also a slave. Then one has blurred the special value of the word as applied to women trafficked or men in Bangladeshi men in work camps with their passports gone, paying off their "recruitment expenses" for years, sharing a small room with 24 other workers and nothing to do but work all day for a boss who's word is final!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I know the feeling.
My mate George called today

Want to go for coffee?

Can't. Gotta mow the lawn, do the ironing, cook dinner and take care of Christine's tax paperwork.

Can't it wait, tom?

George, you're single. You just don't understand.

What about your civil rights?

For free people,George. Remind me what it's like.

I don't want to upset you.

Slavery by any other name, George., is still slavery.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

Slavery by any other name, George., is still slavery.

I hate to see your apparently wonderful life with Christine characterized as slavery.

Now it is always possible that the related term bondage could have valid meaning here - I haven't inquired into the matter of the contents of the drawers in your nightstand.

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi, Tom,

I hate to see your apparently wonderful life with Christine characterized as slavery.

Now it is always possible that the related term bondage could have valid meaning here - I haven't inquired into the matter of the contents of the drawers in your nightstand.

Best regards,

Doug

Contents of nightstand:
Sphygmomanometer
Torch
iPod charger
Latest copy of New Scientist
Ticket butt for Sydney Dance Company performance.
An odd sock.
Holy bible
Koran
Notepad and blunt pencil

Doug Kerr

H, Tom,

Contents of nightstand:
Sphygmomanometer
Torch
iPod charger
Latest copy of New Scientist
Ticket butt for Sydney Dance Company performance.
An odd sock.
Holy bible
Koran
Notepad and blunt pencil

Thank you for that through inventory.

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
H, Tom,

Thank you for that through inventory.

Best regards,

Doug

Its only partially correct, Doug. I left out a few things in case someone took offence. I also includes a few things so that I might.
Were you offended that I might have a copy of New Scientist at my bedside?

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

Its only partially correct, Doug. I left out a few things in case someone took offence.

Ah, perhaps just the kind of items I was thinking of.

I also includes a few things so that I might.

Sounds like a good plan.

Were you offended that I might have a copy of New Scientist at my bedside?

How could what you have on/in your nightstand possibly offend me? (Well, perhaps a naked picture of Carla with bad color balance.)

Best regards,

Doug