• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Smartphones replaces the moon in images.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jérôme, you find the most excuisite facts for us! This time it’s extraordinary! It never occurred to me that Samsung would have the “chutzpah” to actually replace a blurry moon in a camera picture with a detailed clean shot! Of course we feel deceived as they are having us believe that their phone has a far better camera than they provide!

Part of human nature, as a good hunter, trader and seducer, is the ability to confuse, manipulate and trick, to gain some advantage in the pursuit at hand.

I photography, we have gone on this path too!

We start off color and dynamic range adjustments as these changes are “reasonable”. Then we tidy up and remove trash that’s “not supposed to be there. Then zits that only came up today and will be healed next week and this progresses until we create Iris patterns in enlarged images that lack such detail!

Samsung has simply taken this a step further. It’s not seducing us to purchase the moon. Rather it’s just adding the signature hallmark of a perfect night shot!

It’s become part of the extensions to reality we come to take for grand!

But to a serious photographer, if the detailed moon is to be added, then that’s a decision we would like to make ourselves. We like to think if we add a moon picture we license, shoot with a better lens setup or take from the public domain, then we are honest artisans using our craft.

Asher