• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Snout mites again

Paul Iddon

I have to say, when I find these bugs seen below, I get quite excited at the chase!

They constantly and I mean constantly move, unless stopping for food.

At best they are 2 or 3mm, and it seems there might be 2 different ones here, but it could just be the innards are showing in #3

Once again - the snout mites "Bdellidae".

snout103_4k_1800-X3.jpg

snout102_4k_1800-X3.jpg

snout101_4k_1800-X3.jpg

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Paul,

So fascinating!

Yes, it looks like the gut is showing.

But also there appears to be bilateral ducts which exit the body,

F8459867-B57E-4DF0-9160-1922AB048E95.jpeg

or are they spiracles?

Asher

Paul Iddon

Thanks Asher.

They need looking at by an entomologist I think to determine the finer details - way above my abilities!

Paul.

Asher Kelman

Well your pictures are so splendidly detailed, that they invite further enquiry!

These are no longer merely weird nuisance “bugs”, but now fascinating micro-marvelous machines!

Paul Iddon

Well your pictures are so splendidly detailed, that they invite further enquiry!

These are no longer merely weird nuisance “bugs”, but now fascinating micro-marvelous machines!

...and you could even find one or two on close inspection of your surroundings - they are abundant in many habitats and are diverse, but relatively poorly known. They hunt on surfaces for small invertebrate prey which they suck dry with their distinctive snout.

Paul.

Asher Kelman

Since they are 1-2mm in size, please give me a beginner’s guide on how to locate them and what lenses I need. I have a 50mm macro and extension tubes and a ring flash and a macro stage with bellows but never used it except for portraits and skin or oral cancers!

Asher

Paul Iddon

Ah, well, you'll need to go out late at night with a small torch and look on various surfaces in the garden. Watch for little red dots twirling across a 12 inch or so area - they never seem to travel far once you see one - and with 2 of your tubes try to see it on your live view screen and do your best to follow it's constant mobile movement. Hold your breath and as it gets toward the in focus area of the surface, push the button and hope it comes into the focal range and you nail one!

Not easy, believe me!

Paul.

Asher Kelman

Ah, well, you'll need to go out late at night with a small torch and look on various surfaces in the garden. Watch for little red dots twirling across a 12 inch or so area - they never seem to travel far once you see one - and with 2 of your tubes try to see it on your live view screen and do your best to follow it's constant mobile movement. Hold your breath and as it gets toward the in focus area of the surface, push the button and hope it comes into the focal range and you nail one!

Not easy, believe me!

Paul.
Do you use focus bracket?

Paul Iddon

Do you use focus bracket?

Absolutely not.

I take one shot, and endeavor to keep the sharpest point at what I want to show the viewer. I like the limited DoF that macro naturally creates, though I appreciate focus stacking has it's place, and I have used it on the odd rare occasion in the distant past.

But no, my world of macro is the solitary photograph in all its minimalist focus.

Paul.

Paul Iddon

It's the LAOWA Venus 2:1 60mm lens.

Why did I buy it? I couldn't afford a Canon 100mm. The problem (or not) was the Venus is full manual, but having used manual lenses back in the day of film and prism viewfinders, I figured I would manage once I got used to not having any auto-focusing.

After a couple of weeks of 100 photos and 3 keepers, I began to get the hang of manually focusing on something a fraction of an inch in size, and I have never looked back.

Paul.