• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: some close up fun

Just picked up a Tokina at-x pro d 100mm f2.8 macro lense. Heres a near macro shot. Just having some fun. The second picture is shot at 1:1 though. Both using on camera flash bounced.

Feel free to CC if you like. My CC would be about the DOF being off on the front tips of the pine cone and the need for some off camera flash! Also i would need to boost the contrast in #2 I believe. I just need some people to start buying more sb700's so I can find some goood deals on sb600's.

5176570556_dbdf083d4d_b.jpg

5175960337_7ede27ceb7_b.jpg

Just picked up a Tokina at-x pro d 100mm f2.8 macro lense. Heres a near macro shot. Just having some fun. The second picture is shot at 1:1 though. Both using on camera flash bounced.

Hi Jake,

Lens seems to perform fine, and the bokeh (and there is always a lot of it with close-up/marco) is smooth. The light is usually more interesting when not so frontal, so getting the main light off- camera is worth investigating. You can always use an on-camera flash as fill light, to control the contrast.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Just picked up a Tokina at-x pro d 100mm f2.8 macro lense.

We're hesring more of Tokina. I used to think not much of their lenses, but lately at the extreme wide angle zoom and here the glass is impressive.

5176570556_dbdf083d4d_b.jpg

5175960337_7ede27ceb7_b.jpg

As Bart points out, some lateral light to model the form more would be helpful. As it is this is spectacular just the same.

Asher

Don't know why, this one makes me think about a skull ! ;)

Since you wrote that I keep thinking the same.

We're hearing more of Tokina. I used to think not much of their lenses, but lately at the extreme wide angle zoom and here the glass is impressive.

Aren't the individuals who started Tokina actually ex-nikon lense designers? Well I thought I read something on that. I've read this lense shows a lot of CA. I've seen it in some pictures and not in others. I'm guessing the exposures that do show CA were probably user error and not the glass.

The light is usually more interesting when not so frontal, so getting the main light off- camera is worth investigating.

Yeah I can't wait to get a sb600. Maybe I should just buy one instead of waiting for a good deal on a set of two used ones.

As it is this is spectacular just the same.

Thank you Asher, I appreciate this being a beginner/amatuer. I thought they just looked pretty cool so I posted.