• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Something that might be of interest...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Although I won't be taking part in this discussion, I found it informative...

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84462

Regards.
Well, Fahim, that's a provocative subject!

The idea that one cannot refuse to work against one's beliefs is shocking to a lot of folks but based on a humanitarian interest that supercedes personal or cultural preferences of anyone offering a public service. Let's assume that one is simply uncomfortable for any good or bad reason with photographing gays, not to serve that person would sacrifice protection of that minority and all other minorities you favor. They'll always be someone who won't repair cars for a Jew, Muslim or Krishna in an orange robe.

Still, of one is uncomfortable, what does one do? After all, can one do a good job when turned off? I think one can. However, there are lines not to be crossed.

Perhaps in photography, if one feels very strongly about gay ceremonies, simply arrange for the work to be done by a collaborating photographer. That way, no feelings are hurt. After all, why would anyone want their pictures taken by someone who is not enthusiastic about the event? Part of the contract might be that we may assign a shoot to someone specializing in a particular type of wedding.

I think that if one could devise a positive approach where one has photographers who really understand the components of a Greek or Hindu wedding, or else has an affinity to shoot gay unions, then why not?

Asher

Question: Why in the world would anyone want an unwilling photographer to photograph their wedding?

Answer: They wouldn't.

So what's going on? Just another case for the thought police.

Question: Why in the world would anyone want an unwilling photographer to photograph their wedding?

Answer: They wouldn't.

So what's going on? Just another case for the thought police.

I could not access the thread, so I could not read up on the details of the case. But I can understand that the law requires businesses to offer their services without discrimination. I would not want to use the services of an unwilling photographer any more than those of an unwilling cook or doctor. It is just a little step from not photograhing gays to not serving Jews in a restaurant to not treating people of colour in a clinic. Nevertheless, and rightly so, people from the concerned groups have fought to end this behaviour, although the risks of mistreatment by unwilling cooks and doctors are much higher.

Christoph