• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Stacked Art - what?

Robert Watcher

In preparing myself to better understand Affinity Photo on my iPad tonight, for creating some Panoramas in the next while —- I noticed other processing features and decided to not play by the rules of what they were meant to accomplish.

One of those algorithms is called Stacking. Out of curiosity, I just through a whole bunch of unrelated images together and Photo stack them into layers. I liked what I saw, and so created another and then another and so on, getting different results with different combinations of content. It was kind of cool. All though I didn’t play around with the results I was provided in this set of images - I did realize that I could go in and manipulate each layer individually and control the result much more if I want to.

He are a few samples of the art (if you call it that) that was created.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Robert,

First a question: in what way is Affinity Photo unique in handling “stacked” or layered images?

Now a statement: When you chose pictures to stack, you had already, at least subconsciously selected these somehow for attention. True or not?

Allow me to talk about just one of your fabulous artistic creations. Yes it passes for Art!

How did you get the swirling red element on the left

I have been making stacked interacting layers, often with multiplying, different light or luminance to select the offspring for further blending with siblings and cousins of the same image parents. I have termed this process “Images Elementals”

I think this is worth exploring and essentially is the kind of harvesting of diverse image elements that Charlotte Thomson uses in her layered mostly B&W works!

Asher

I love the layering. Keep going. I prefer the first image with the more subdued palette reminiscent of silk screen/silk scroll even. Just to blab a little obvious: the more multi-layered the DX’s, the less contrast. The fifth one down has a punchy range of densities. With some passages reminiscent of film strips. In the last one, I like discovering new ghostly faces in the top section. My feeling is the purple in the right of the image doesn’t quite work with the hot reds. You can see the colder violet in the upper left works better.