• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

State Fair

Rhys Sage

pro member
I've just got my prints off to be framed. I decided to enter the State Fair this year.

in the SC state fair they asked on the form how much I want to sell my prints for. I made a figure up at the time and have been working within that figure to produce the final images.

My prints from WHCC were 16x24 and cost me $43 approx for two. My frames were 50% off in Michaels and cost me $49 approx for the pair. Getting the mats cut and the whole thing put together cost me $55 total. It's about $147 investment. I figure that if the prints don't sell at the State Fair then I have some framed prints to display at the bridal fair in January (even though they're not bridal images). I put a price for the public of $150 on each and $100 for State Fair entrants. Not bad for a 20x28 picture (including mat and frame).

When they're entered I'll post links to smaller versions.

I hiked the saturation - probably more than I needed - in order to grab attention.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Rhys,

Glad to see you are preparing to sell your work at these fairs. On prices, for 16x24, 20x28" framed, that is indeed a bargain. Have you added up your time at a price you think is worthwhile? There's also the space allocated to this. All these are costs. So you might also want to consider having some other pictures priced at $250 and $400, if you think the picture are worth that amount. Then you might see how your work sold in different price brackets. You might even do better with the more expensive offerings.

Another thought is to offer matted photographs of different sizes. These are easy to pack and allows you to reach other price points.

Asher

Rhys Sage

pro member
Hi Rhys,

Glad to see you are preparing to sell your work at these fairs. On prices, for 16x24, 20x28" framed, that is indeed a bargain. Have you added up your time at a price you think is worthwhile? There's also the space allocated to this. All these are costs. So you might also want to consider having some other pictures priced at $250 and $400, if you think the picture are worth that amount. Then you might see how your work sold in different price brackets. You might even do better with the more expensive offerings.

Another thought is to offer matted photographs of different sizes. These are easy to pack and allows you to reach other price points.

Asher

I'm more trying to advertise myself than to sell or to win competitions. At the moment I'm trying to appeal to the mid-budget market. When my name gets around enough I'll head for the upper budget market (which is easier to advertise to).

You're absolutely right about price - they're way underpriced.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rhys,

It's really too difficult most times to reassign a level of "worth" work once you are "known". Rather sell these pictures under a "nom de plume" or "nom de photo", if that's a proper term!

Asher

Rhys Sage

pro member
Rhys,

It's really too difficult most times to reassign a level of "worth" work once you are "known". Rather sell these pictures under a "nom de plume" or "nom de photo", if that's a proper term!

Asher

I'm just selling under my own name and my business name. The buck stops here :D If I screw up then the buck stops here.