• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Still another look at the grain silo/cell site

Jim Olson

I walked out and had to go back in & grab my camera

Tom dinning

Registrant*
There’s more to this than just the silo.
So much going o that can give the shot context.

Expanding the frame just a bit will include some of these things. They won’t interfere with the main subject but will add to the context in which the subject is placed.

To expand the frame you either step bac a few metres or reduce the focal length. Not too much though. Watch what appears in the frame around the edges and consider its importance in presenting the shot.
For example, the foreground. Giving the building a bit of ground to sit on helps.
The dogs in the bottom right corner could be seen easier. That presents some life to the shot. It’s no longer an abandoned place.
The wood pile is another feature worthy of including.

At the moment it’s all about the silo. Dominant and dead centre.
Interesting pictures aren’t just about a thing. Interesting pictures show how different things relate to each other in our head.

Storm clouds in the background. Dim light, wood pile, house with silo, dogs, makeshift fence, all add up to be the picture.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator

Expanding the frame just a bit will include some of these things. They won’t interfere with the main subject but will add to the context in which the subject is placed.

To expand the frame you either step bac a few metres or reduce the focal length. Not too much though. Watch what appears in the frame around the edges and consider its importance in presenting the shot.
For example, the foreground. Giving the building a bit of ground to sit on helps.
The dogs in the bottom right corner could be seen easier. That presents some life to the shot. It’s no longer an abandoned place.

Interesting pictures aren’t just about a thing. Interesting pictures show how different things relate to each other in our head.

Storm clouds in the background. Dim light, wood pile, house with silo, dogs, makeshift fence, all add up to be the picture.
Fully right!
In this cas I would enlarge a bit in order to get the whole aside "dog story" and turn the camera to the right to avoid the garbage bin which does not add any interesting thing.
Also, I would be careful to have the buildings really vertical so we can benefit of the leaning trees…

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Fully right!
In this cas I would enlarge a bit in order to get the whole aside "dog story" and turn the camera to the right to avoid the garbage bin which does not add any interesting thing.
Also, I would be careful to have the buildings really vertical so we can benefit of the leaning trees…
Nothing like a bin to complete the suburban cultural scene, Nic. It tells me he’s close to ‘civilisation’ and not out in the wilderness.
Perhaps it’s because I’m the bin man here. Christine says it’s a mans job. I think she’s being sexist but I don’t argue.

Jim Olson

I wish I had more time to shoot but I was heading out to Taco Bell (my wife & child love Taco Bell, me not so much) but it was free taco Tues, so I walked out saw the silo & walked back to grab my camera. I only took 3 shots (2 without the dogs) & when I looked at them on my laptop, I liked the dogs in the picture. Unfortunately I didn't take a big enough shot, because I most of the time have to crop, but this one wasn't cropped.

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Suggestion for another crop:
Small/Tall
Giving more room to the 2 subjects. Avoiding the unnecessary…
Cropping is a good exercise to understand what should be shot the next time…
Because at the end, if you want to print your image, you'll need the full resolution!