• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sunset, Straits of San Juan de Fuca

Chris Calohan

straits-san-juan-de-fuca-2-1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Chris,

Such a densely rich shoreline with trees that have the shape of old forgotten Olive Trees.

The skyline a full of orange, rust and reds and seems that to the left it goes on for ever!

I even copied your picture to study it further and was not disappointed.

I do hope you explored and have yet more to share!

Asher

Asher Kelman

It turns out that not only is thr place colorful, but also the nan who gave it its name! From Wikipedia:

Ioannis Phokas (Greek: Ἰωάννης Φωκᾶς), better known by the Spanish translation of his name, Juan de Fuca (born 1536 on the Ionian island of Cefalonia; died there 1602[1][2]), was a Greekmaritime pilot in the service of the King of Spain, Philip II. He is best known for his claim to have explored the Strait of Anián, now known as the Strait of Juan de Fuca, between Vancouver Island (now part of British Columbia, Canada) and the Olympic Peninsula (northwestern Washington state, United States).

Asher Kelman

So, Chris,

Now I realize this is not some far away exotic South America vacation spot, when was this and is there more?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Washington State, San Juan islands. More to come but it is slow, tedious work.
At first I though such an exotic vacation spot must be far further South! It’s Northern location really surprised me!

One great advantage for San Juan Islands is likely lack of torrid thick humidity!

Asher