• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Suzuki String Players!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Internationally, the Suzuki method of training tiny kids to young adults has been proven over many decades.

"The Suzuki method (スズキ・メソード Suzuki mesōdo?, also called Talent Education, mother-tongue method, or Suzuki movement) is an educational philosophy which strives to create "high ability" and beautiful character in its students through a nurturing environment. Its primary vehicle for achieving this is music education on a specific instrument (often violin or piano, but see below for a more complete list). The 'nurture' involved in the movement is modeled on a concept of early childhood education that focuses on factors which Shinichi Suzuki observed in native language acquisition, such as immersion, encouragement, small steps, and an unforced timetable for learning material based on each person's developmental readiness to imitate examples, internalize principles, and contribute novel ideas. The term "Suzuki method" is also sometimes used to refer solely to the Suzuki repertoire of sheet music books and/or audio recordings which have been published as part of its music education method."

I will progressively add pictures of little (and much bigger munchkins and teenagers) on stage showing how they can accomplish the language of music in a group setting. Here's a start. This is a stitch by hand in photoshop from two images with 5DII and the 70-200 2.8L IS, processed from the jpg files for the web.

_MG_5622and5623_stitched_sRGB_1000pixel.jpg

© Asher Kelman: School of Performing Arts, Suzuki Strings, Violin Performance
December 16th, 2009, The Colburn School, Grand Avenue, Los Angeles

Enjoy!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

To get some idea of the progress made in shooting on the stage lit from above, look at the following cutout from the crop from another picture from that shoot and then below a 100% portion of the stitched image from the previous post.

_MG_5592_CS4jpgcrop600.jpg

Crop of another image from that shoot

_MG_5622and5623_stitched_sRGB 100percent_portion.jpg

100% portion​

Asher

Last edited:

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

whoa
exactly what I wa s thinking a close up of and contain certain children

the whole stage across is benign

but a childs face or faces cropped is so sooo much better-
your second crop shows us the musicians and studied musicians as children

could you find one-
that seems to be more studious- more into-

Charlotte-

Ruben Alfu

Hello Asher, a little less magenta would be fine for my liking, but other than that, I think it is a successful capture of the performance. I feel joy looking at these wonder kids taking the baton to preserve high culture.

The photo below doesn't belong to the stitch but it does demonstrates the point anyway.

To get some idea of the progress made in shooting on the stage lit from above, look at the following cutout from the 2-stitch picture above

_MG_5592_CS4jpgcrop600.jpg

Asher Kelman

Hello Asher, a little less magenta would be fine for my liking, but other than that, I think it is a successful capture of the performance. I feel joy looking at these wonder kids taking the baton to preserve high culture.

The photo below doesn't belong to the stitch but it does demonstrates the point anyway.

Yes, Ruben, It could very well be that I need to check the magenta contribution. I have to re-profile my monitors! I'll do that before I put final copies in the image library. The picture is from another shot of the group. Thanks for catching that! These kids are so serious about their little violins, you could eat them up! Each one of them has been started on a path of appreciating the results from devotion to one idea. They can experience how they get results they never would have imagined from themselves. That's what the school does.

Glad you like the pics!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Now some cello! I can share with you that the teacher on the right, Faculty Member, Mrs. Nancy Yamagata, taught my son Emile and now he plays professionally in his work. So it's a special delight to see her with new kids, inspiring them and giving an opportunity to develop their innate abilities.

Suzuki Cello.jpeg

Asher Kelman: "Cello Diagonals"

Suzuki Cellists led by Colburn faculty Susan Weisner and Nancy Yamagata,
Zipper Hall, The Colburn School, Grand Avenue, Los Angeles

The 2 cellist girls.jpeg

Asher Kelman: "Labor of Love"

Suzuki Cellists,

Enjoy!

Asher

Asher Kelman

There's a lot of discipline on these young musicians, not only the arduous practice and driving to lessons and then school work, but also the will and control to be able to work with so many other children of different backgrounds and make music together.

This evening, they were dressed formally to the nines and looked so smart. Obviously parents were watching and faculty are always looking for the gifted successful kids to take note of. So the young pint-sized musicians are under a lot of pressure.

The hug.jpeg

Asher Kelman: "The Hug"

Suzuki students celebrate after the performance. They run, find and hug one another,
so happy they did a perfect job! They lit up the place with their celebration and joy.

But they are kids and have a lot of energy built up that explodes in released energy when it's all over. What a relief!

Asher

To get some idea of the progress made in shooting on the stage lit from above, look at the following cutout from the crop from another picture from that shoot and then below a 100% portion of the stitched image from the previous post.

Hi Asher,

Just to let you know I like the results, and the progress you have made.

Looking forward to seeing more,
Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

You are making such a good progress with your music/performance photography, I am very impressed. These pictures are all very good indeed.

Internationally, the Suzuki method of training tiny kids to young adults has been proven over many decades.

"The Suzuki method (スズキ・メソード Suzuki mesōdo?, also called Talent Education, mother-tongue method, or Suzuki movement) is an educational philosophy which strives to create "high ability" and beautiful character in its students through a nurturing environment. Its primary vehicle for achieving this is music education on a specific instrument (often violin or piano, but see below for a more complete list). The 'nurture' involved in the movement is modeled on a concept of early childhood education that focuses on factors which Shinichi Suzuki observed in native language acquisition, such as immersion, encouragement, small steps, and an unforced timetable for learning material based on each person's developmental readiness to imitate examples, internalize principles, and contribute novel ideas. The term "Suzuki method" is also sometimes used to refer solely to the Suzuki repertoire of sheet music books and/or audio recordings which have been published as part of its music education method."
The Suzuki method seems to be a bit similar to the education philosophy of Maria Montessori. In Montessori schools, children learn individually at their own tempo when they are ready to absorb a certain material, not when it is systematically offered to the whole class at the same time like in classical education. This is not the same as letting children free to do whatever they want, Montessori method still guides and nurtures children towards achieving weekly and periodically set goals, with the help of other students or the teachers.

Thanks for sharing these gems :)

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Thanks for your kind remarks, Cem and Janet. Gradually one learns and photographing these hardworking performance students is an opportunity to be with some of the most devoted teachers taking rough talent and passion and directing it to the nth. At the school, while they are open to everyone and have a generous outreach program, they focus of excellence. So it's not just some casual belonging to some music program. Where else could I get to experience all this magic being made and youth put on such wonderful paths to expression and confidence in their own being through music and the performing arts?

At the same time, I can chronicle what is happening and, perhaps, inspire parents, siblings and grandparents to encourage all children to feel for things in life and channel passions through beauty.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well that's generous of you, John. I'll have to add more mages then!

Always feel free to comment on my pictures. I'll count you as a valuable fan!

Asher