• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Talk in the garden

Antonio Correia

A simple photograph of three women talking in a garden during the afternoon...
2019-04-06%4015.08.35-2-HDR-X2.jpg

Antonio Correia

Sometimes I do not feel motivated to take photographs. The scene is always the same: the same streets, the same people, the same everything...
New areas/scenarios excite me, routined ones, don't.
This is the reason I thing this is a simple photo, common, usual. Anybody can do it ! It is easy. Just hold the camera, compose at the minimum and shoot.
Today, the same happened. We went by the sea and I made the photo I post bellow: common, usual, trivial. Rubbish !

2019-04-07%4016.35.14-HDR-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Antonio,

This is not a Chateau that anyone can find. Everyone knows that the Chateau is important otherwise, the tour bus would wouldn’t stop to deliver all the folk with cameras!

Here, however, the tire, anchoring equally 4 massive chains, is noticed by you. Why, others didn’t line up and try to get the best vantage point to steal a shot. You realized it was unusual, showed some adaptive human behavior that has some balance to it. Chains are both rectilinear, yet have somewhat “circular” form like the tire, which itself has a pattern of angles straight lines.

This composition immediately attracts attention as it’s bold, but we don’t know exactly its function, except it’s able to withstand massive forces, something to do with “safely mooring a vessel”. So that enigma will never be totally solved and it will always be entertaining.

No it’s not mundane to us, as now it’s a photograph shared by a colleague, who travels, has a wife who is extraordinarily well versed in literature, gracious and a good cook and herself a photographer.

You see, Antonio, this then is no ordinary snapshot from “anyone”!

Art appreciation required consciousness. That is made up of every parameter we can associate with every aspect of each shape, texture, color in the image and everything about you that we know and similar pictures from all our memories.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Once again, Antonio,

Now why on earth would I think your “simple” garden picture is extraordinary in some memorable way?

You are such an experienced photographer, that you now choose unusually structured scenes and do so, almost reflexly. So it “seems” simple!

What you may not realize is this actually is quite unique and taught me something new.

It has about 18 diagonals going up from left to right throughout the composition and a only few balancing forms. One might be distracted by the vertical hiding part of a woman’s head as that sort of thing disturbs some folks.

Still, the rise of the parallel lines from
Left to right, at least in the Western writing idiom, indicates going forward and passage in time. The steep steps going way up the hillside, connect with the master metaphor of “life expressed as a journey.

So here we have a transient test in the long toil of life’s journey where, just for a an interval in time, their paths come together.

This is what I learned as I have never ever seen the motif of the rising tangential used so much in one picture of people.

Asher

Asher Kelman

If this was filmed, cautiously and slowly in an art movie, folk would talk about it like the scene with baby carriage rolling down, bumping step by step, the massive stone Odessa stairway in the “Battleship Potemkin”, (Eisenstein’s most celebrated and famous movie of the mutiny on this Csarist warship)!

Battleship Potemkin

Antonio Correia

Thank you so much for your kind words, as usual ! :)
The video was indeed, a great find ! Thanks !
I will try to make more simple photographs. :)

Asher Kelman

I would love you to send me the step picture and it’s siblings in RAW for nevto try to make a video.

Is it near you?

Asher