• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Tammerkoski, Tampere

Jarmo Juntunen

Went for a stroll last night. Winter started finally in our country after a rainy and gloomy Autumn and early January.

_img900.jpg

_img900.jpg

_img900.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Went for a stroll last night. Winter started finally in our country after a rainy and gloomy Autumn and early January.

_img900.jpg

_img900.jpg

_img900.jpg

I had to look up the title, Jarmo, to understand that you had not made up some Latinized joke. Thaqt's what I first thought about Tammeroski Tempere. Actually, this is a waterway that drains from the higher level of two small towns.

Very peaceful! Is there ever skating when its frozen, or the ice is too thin?

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

I had to look up the title, Jarmo, to understand that you had not made up some Latinized joke. Thaqt's what I first thought about Tammeroski Tempere. Actually, this is a waterway that drains from the higher level of two small towns.

Very peaceful! Is there ever skating when its frozen, or the ice is too thin?

Asher

Ha! It's a wide world, full of funny languages, isn't it my American friend ;-)? Tammerkoski is a waterway through a Finnish town called Tampere and it connects two lakes. There's an 18 meter drop between the lakes, so no skating at all. But absolutely yes on the lakes. Owing to Tammerkoski and the early hydro power plants Tampere became one of the most industrialized towns in our country. And one of the first industrial centers, too. Ok. I'll leave the floor to Doug now.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, Jarmo,

I guess the water really must be pretty powerful to generate electricity. Are the plants still operational? So to the lakes? Any images of winter skating or that's too far away for you?

Asher