• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Test of image attachment and embedment

Doug Kerr

Ah! Here there is an Attach Files button.

I'll go with the thumbnail option.

Neat-O.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Gradually we are advancing in features. You can upload images from your iPhone or Android phone.

Send the image to yourself to resize it if need be!

Asher

Robert Watcher

IMAGE SIZE APP

Here is a simple way to resize your pics if you are using an iPad/iPhone or Android device.

Some ads and no resize options for sharpening etc. I’ve been using it for a couple of years and it does the trick.

https://www.image-size.com

———-

Asher Kelman

One can’t simply “quote” an “attached” image. One has to first copy the post with the attached image to get a link and clicknon that link and then download that.

Nowcone can attach it anew as I have done here.

If the image is on a server and here via a link, copy directly shows that same image!

Asher

Doug Kerr

To look into the matter of "quoting" posts that contain "attached" images, here is a text image ("attached" in the "full image" form):

These are the lenses and lens adapters that, a one time, were available to fit the Kodak Ciné-Kodak Special motion picture camera.

I will psot this and then visit it and try to "quote" it.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Now I have done "Reply" to my own post. (I note that there are not separate "reply" and "quote" options; "Reply" seems to by default want to quite the entire post. That's OK.

So now we'll see what that gives us.

Best regards

Doug

To look into the matter of "quoting" posts that contain "attached" images, here is a text image ("attached" in the "full image" form):

View attachment 229

These are the lenses and lens adapters that, a one time, were available to fit the Kodak Ciné-Kodak Special motion picture camera.

I will psot this and then visit it and try to "quote" it.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

I note that in my "quotation" of my post with an attached image, there is a line that reads (in light OPF color) "View attachment 229". If I click on that, I see the image "fairly large" in what I call the "alternate viewer"

If I right click on that line, I get a contextual menu. If I select "Copy link location", and then paste that here, and surround it, old-style, with BBCode image tags. the result is as you see here:

Asher, I guess that is what you were talking about.

I think this is a peculiar behavior of the new platform, and not wholly desirable. But it does make "quote-based" posts more compact on-screen.

I myself, under the old platform, would often include the original image in quoting a post for just that reason (to minimize the screen space taken by another appearance of the same image)

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

You say, "If the image is on a server and here via a link, copy directly shows that same image!"

By "copy" do you mean start a reply, or something else? I don't know otherwise what "copying" a post would mean.

I see sometimes when a post contains a link to an external image host and I do "Reply", the result has the image vertically truncated, with a note "Click to see whole thing", or some such. Very clever.

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Sharing Pictures on this Forum

If you want to show a picture stored elsewhere, online,

1. get its URL.

2. Next, in the upper right of the NEW/EDITING dialog box, choose the third icon from the right.

This allows you to place your image link to your reliable own hosting or services, such as Smugmug or Flickr.

The advantage now is that the image can be larger and have greater tonal quality and more detail.

The difference between having images as attachments versus via linking to external servers.

On any new post, there is a “copy” link on the bottom right corner. It’s function is different for “attached” versus “linked” images.

For an “attachment”, reuse is somewhat awkward and limited. One has to accept a written, (but perfectly functional), link to a viewer in a new screen.

For an “externally hosted image”, however, one gets the actual full size image inserted and directly visible in the quoted post.

Attachment, as limited as it is, still provides a fast and beautiful way of including relatively smaller size images directly from one’s cell phone, tablet or computer.

My goal is to have all images hosted with us and then can be quoted in one step!

Asher

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Ah, yes, in my "quoted" reply, the original image is truncated, with a "Click to expand" buttonless-button. Nice.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
If you want to use a picture stored elsewhere, online, getvtge imagr URL and in the upper right of the NEW/EDITING dialog box, choose the third icon from the right.

Here, the third icon from the right on the toolbar of the message composition window is "redo".

I see the "Insert link" and "Insert image" icons.

If I poke Insert image, I can then click on the "by URL" icon in the ensuing box and enter the URL of the image. That's how i did "Carla in red" in a recent test post.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

On any new post, there is a “copy” link on the bottom right corner.

Do you mean on the composition screen for a post that is being composed? I don't see any " 'copy' link". But this is when doing "Reply". Maybe its different for an OP.

Update: Nope. Can't find it when starting a new thread.

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited: