• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The aquarium cleaners

Doug Kerr

You have often heard me make fun of the term point and shoot (often used to designate a genre of camera, without saying anything about its properties) by pointing out that my EOS 40D seems to be a point and shoot camera: if I don't point, I don't get the picture I want, and if I don't shoot, I don't get a picture at all.

Then on another front, I recall the discussion here on the use of P (programmed exposure) exposure mode. I had pointed out that I normally leave my camera in P mode when it is on the car seat next to me in case I should see a crashing plane or such. One fellow said, in effect, "for heavens sake - how long would it take to set an appropriate shutter speed in Tv mode?".

Then there was the guy who observed that he was so relieved that Canon did not include an onboard flash on the EOS 5D, or he certainly wouldn't have considered buying one.

And I'm old enough to remember when autofocus was considered much the same. (Fortunately, we seem to have gotten beyond that.)

All these thoughts flickered though my head this morning as I took the shot below. It seemed that I used all the features "no real photographer would ever use":

• P exposure mode
• Onboard flash
• JPEG output (in the sRGB color space, yet!)
• Average white balance

These are my two aquarium cleaners, Nemo (on the right), and his apprentice, Piccard (on the left). Both are plecostomus (Nemo is, I think, a Pterygoplichthys pardalis.)

Piccard_Nemo_F06057R.jpg

This is ex camera other than for cropping, slight tonal scale adjustment, reduction in resolution, and a little sharpening downstream from that.

EOS 40D, Sigma 18-200 mm f/3.5-6.3 at 51 mm, ISO 800, f/5.0, 1/60 sec.

Well, that's how we telephone engineers sometimes do it.

Ron Morse

This is a good attempt Doug. Their are a lot of things that go into a good aquatic picture that a magazine is interested in publishing.

Its hard to get a really good picture with the onboard flash, but you have done a lot better than a lot that I've seen. The position of the fish is also of great importance. If you are really interested in good aquarium pictures use then STE-2 or pocket wizards and overhead flashes. I use manual control on the flashes and about f/16 1/200 ( I know about the defraction crap ) to separate the fish from the background.

This is 40D 17-55 IS two 580 EX and pocket wizards at f/16 1/250. I don't remember the power of the flashes but probably 1/2 or less.
mg2807blo4.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Ron,

Its hard to get a really good picture with the onboard flash, but you have done a lot better than a lot that I've seen.

It was just a "grab shot". I was amazed that it was as good as it was. I plan to do some considered work in this area when I get a chance.

This is 40D 17-55 IS two 580 EX and pocket wizards at f/16 1/250. I don't remember the power of the flashes but probably 1/2 or less.

That is lovely!

Best regards,

Doug

Ron Morse

Doug, this one area that I had considerable experience. If I can help you in any way PM me and I will offer all the assistance I can.