• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The arTec and Sinarback eMotion 75 LV in real life… interiors of the Bordeaux 60

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
So today (Feb. 24) I had an assignement to shoot the new interiors of the Bordeaux 60… A great and forseen oportunity to -enfin !- try the arTec in real true condition of shooting…

Ouch!

I felt I had to quickly processed some files to show you that incredibly easy camera…
A bit too quick though, they ares ome issues, but still worth seing imho.

Of course I had to shoot safely (user's fault!) for the client first. And I got the arTec out of the bag, when I was sure I already had the good stuff in the box.

The shoot did start at 9 am, and I could start with the arTec at around 5pm. Didn't take that long to shoot 2 series, here is the 1st one.
The arTec on tripod and RRS head. Tripod not moved, camera not moved either.
Rodenstock 28mm HR lens - Sinarback eMotion 75 LV
All kind of light… :-(

3 images shot horizontal shift -13 - 0 - and + 13 on the arTec scale.
Same vertical shift for the 3 shots
Lens: Sinaron Digital HR 4.5/28 CEF
ƒ16 - 0.5 sec - focus distance: 2.5 meters (aprox 8 feet) - 200 ISO

Used the "White Shading" technique but my opal reflector has to be enhanced (I don't have the one from Sinar)…
Created DNGs with exPosure and then processed the images in C1.
Stich was made in 8 bit (no time!) in CS4.

Pano_arTec_Bdx60_1.jpg

If you want to see the full res (10124 pixels x 4968 pixels click here… (Zoomify)

A making of have been shot in video, but needs more time to PP !

Nicolas

Congratulations for using this new tool successfully, I know how "the fog of war" can make experienced photographers forget simple things and how time goes so fast when we are in the presence of expensive models, of boats...

You probably could not position the tripod in the exact center of the space so that the wall in front was parallel to the film plane, can you SKEW the image to straighten the perspective?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm always impressed by the ability of interior photographers to make a splendid image out of small places. It's a challenge not to get things distorted. If this is your first try, then you are going to get into a very close relationship with the ArTec and they will have to pry it from your hands.

Nicolas, I'm happy for you and await eagerly to see the video by the talented Romain and to see further pictures. So how much wider could you have gone?

Asher

Just for the fun of it, could you pop the two images into AutoPano Pro and then use the vertical adjustments and see if it has any value for this work?

nicolas claris

Nicolas

Congratulations for using this new tool successfully, I know how "the fog of war" can make experienced photographers forget simple things and how time goes so fast when we are in the presence of expensive models, of boats...

You probably could not position the tripod in the exact center of the space so that the wall in front was parallel to the film plane, can you SKEW the image to straighten the perspective?

I Leonardo
you nailed one of the issues of this image.
The position of the camea could have been better, this is my only fault.
For the first time of my photog life I had to "battle" with many new things togehter to me:
- Manual focus
- Manual shutter exposition
- White balance technique
- Vertical shift (no use of tilt)
- Horizontal shift for pano
- Manual position of shutter button
- Manual "arming" of shutter
- Inversed image in viewer (upside down)
- Sliding of Back/viewer

All these setings aren't really a problem, one by one, just the combination of all… You don't want to forget one;-)

Plus that damned Romain turning around the camera like a bee around a pot of honey!

I just didn't check, once more, the position of the camera/tripod…

I don't think it's worth skewing now, I like to show the way it was/is…

Thanks for taking time to look at.

nicolas claris

I'm always impressed by the ability of interior photographers to make a splendid image out of small places. It's a challenge not to get things distorted. If this is your first try, then you are going to get into a very close relationship with the ArTec and they will have to pry it from your hands.

Nicolas, I'm happy for you and await eagerly to see the video by the talented Romain and to see further pictures. So how much wider could you have gone?

Asher

Just for the fun of it, could you pop the two images into AutoPano Pro and then use the vertical adjustments and see if it has any value for this work?
Hi Asher
Yes this my very 1st try "in real"!

"to pry it" ??

Autopano (1.4 Mac version) crashed 2 times with the 16 bits images, this is why I did stitch in CS4…

BTW they are THREE images…

Thanks for your comment!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nicolas,

It may help to render it in APP as TIFF and one layer. Might be worth trying and not the 64 bit spline, LOL! It needs a lot of space for the rendering it seems.

Just a thought!

Asher

Yep, the fog of war... I miss just that here with no clients looking over my shoulder. Someone told me that one of my ex-client galleries in New York just closed shop. This ARE hard times... me and others wish you success in your asignments ...

Tight interiors are where horizontal shifts are really useful, because they give you more flexibility in placing the camera. Say there's a door along one edge of the room, for instance, and you want to look through the door down a corridor, but you also want a centered composition showing the whole room. With a fixed camera, you have to choose--either position the camera to look down the corridor or place the camera in the center of the room for a centered composition. With a camera that has shifts and a lens with adequate coverage, you can place the camera so that you're looking down the corridor with the lens plane parallel to the opposite wall, so everything is square, and use rear shift to center the composition. A camera like the arTec should be great for this kind of work.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Bonsoir Nicolas

well, it takes a bit of time, to get used all these possibilities - plus the arTec is not really a fast shooting cam.

DOF is amazing, when looking at the zoomify; its sharp from the metal bars in the foreground untill the stair..... at f 16 what is it - about 3 m of distance?

Do you know the Hor. FOV of the Pano? Not that much, I guess is arround 100 degs, but it hasn't that nasty UW-look.

The reverse view looks like beeing shot with a wider lens....
Wasn't there any possibilty to have the cam at the same distance from the ceiling?
I know, the first one is taken from the lower level...

Could you show a 100%-crop of the extreme left or right side, please?
I'm sure that this MF-back flat-stitch will gain a lot of IQ in these regions, compared to a panohead-stitch, when going wider than 100 degs.

nicolas claris

Bonsoir Michael
I'll get back later for the FOV of the panos. In the meantime:
both shos where made at ƒ16 and focus distance to 3meters (9 feet)
Lens is the same in both view for a very good reason, I have only one !

No need for full crop, here's the zoomify!

BTW, I've been a bit fooled by the windows high light and I had to push a bit the shadows in PP. There were also some vigneting on the lower left corner of the left shot and right corner of the right shot, none on the center shot, this is explained by the horizontal shift a bit too much imo, but easily repaired in PP…

Last edited:
Bravo Nicolas! I always enjoy looking at your amazing images and getting to see how you actually work to come up with them, through your son's equally impressive video work, is a real treat. It serves to make me anxious to see what comes next with this great new tool that you have now. If I had the money I would be ordering one of those boats already.
James Newman

nicolas claris

Hi James
thank you, it's always a pleasure to know that my and Romain's work has been seen and appreciated.
I wished that strange "old" shutter buton could swift a new job to you and others who are chasing now…

As for buiying a boat, there is an old English proverb which says (approx in my English): A boat is like a hole in the water in which you never stop pouring money"…

Cem_Usakligil

Bonjour Nicolas,

For now, just a short note saying that I am impressed, bravo indeed.
I have to rush now but I'll revisit later.

Cheers,

nicolas claris

Or the happiest days of a boat owner are "The day he bought it and the day it is Sold"

Ah! true too !

And good for the photog, needs pics made at 1st to sell the boat, needs another shoot later before resale (as the boat has changed in the meantime…) :-D