• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Beauty of Nicaragua’s Volcanos

Robert Watcher

Anne and I are infatuated with volcanos - having lived beside them and visited several now in 4 different countries in Central America.

A bit over a month ago I captured these banner (pano-style) images for a client —- of one the most easily accessible, but most active volcanos in Nicaragua.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A lot of atmospherics.

Really spectacular. You are both devoted indeed.

But what of the acrid fumes and the risk of being preserved like those “sinners” romping in Pompeii when Vesuvius blew its top and froze them in larva for a thousand years!

That frightening eruption wiped out with ash the Roman settlements of Pompeii, Herculaneum, Oplontis and Stabiae and makes me fear being barbecued for my transgressions over the years!

You and Anne are most probably safe.

Asher

Jerome Marot

Not all volcanos are deadly. Vesuvius is particularly dangerous because eruptions tend to relieve hot gases, which run down the slopes of the volcano faster anyone can run (pyroclastic flow). Lava flows much slower, so that one has ample time to reach safety.