• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The D-day of Operation Overlord

Doug Kerr

This week we celebrate the 75th anniversary of the D-day of Operation Overlord, the Allied invasion of Normandy in World War II. (No, the invasion, or the operation, was not called "D-Day". Every military operation has a D-day, which is the day on which it is scheduled to occur, and then does occur, and then did occur.)

It was an extraordinary event, sadly with much loss of lives on both sides (and of civilians as well).

But it set the stage for what Harry S Truman said, to Henry Kissinger, was the thing during his presidency of which he was most proud: “That we totally defeated our enemies and then brought them back to the community of nations as equals. I would like to think that only America would have done this.”

Now, every morning, as I check the overnight news, I hope to see, even dimly, vestiges of that spirit.

Still, today, I enjoyed seeing that team of balloon handlers in London with the backs of their jumpsuits carrying the label, "Trump Baby Sitter".

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have the greatest respect for the young men and women who marched off to war an some who made the ultimate sacrifice. For sure, if not for the miracle of the USA bringing in machines, food and fighting men and the Russians making the most massive sacrifices in human history, (outside of the flu pandemics), we would have lost the war to Fascism.

We owe everything to that generation!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
I have the greatest respect for the young men and women who marched off to war an some who made the ultimate sacrifice. For sure, if not for the miracle of the USA bringing in machines, food and fighting men and the Russians making the most massive sacrifices in human history, (outside of the flu pandemics), we would have lost the war to Fascism.

We owe everything to that generation!

Indeed.

One of the great paradoxes is that the USSR, which indeed made one of the greatest sacrifices in human history, was not exactly our ally, but really a third contender for the prizes of that war (to quickly become a bona fide enemy).

As I have often observed, no doubt the decision to bring the war with Japan to a prompt end with the use of Little Boy and Fat Man was to make sure that we won the war with Japan and not the USSR.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

In my original message, discussing the meaning of "D-day", I said that the invasion of Normandy was not generally discussed at that time as "D-day".

Hearing today many radio broadcasts from that time, I find that I was incorrect. The term "D-day" was in fact used by some commentators to refer contemporaneously to the event.

And I can certainly understand that.

Still I hold to my observation that every operation had a "D-day" (and an "H-hour", the time at which it was planned to happen, or did happen).

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Indeed.

One of the great paradoxes is that the USSR, which indeed made one of the greatest sacrifices in human history, was not exactly our ally, but really a third contender for the prizes of that war (to quickly become a bona fide enemy).

As I have often observed, no doubt the decision to bring the war with Japan to a prompt end with the use of Little Boy and Fat Man was to make sure that we won the war with Japan and not the USSR.

Best regards,

Doug

Few folk have a clue, outside of the territories of the former Soviet Union, of the immense, mind boggling sacrifices, hunger, stoicism and sacrifices, (out of vast proportion to war effort by the rest of the allies), that drove the invincibly arrogant Wehrmacht Nazi war machine to an anemic halt!

It’s conceivable that this alone could have won the war!

Yes ask anyone in the USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the U.K..

They, likely as not, will be ignorant beyond:

“What stupidity of not learning from Napoleons hard won lesson of the ignomy of Russian winters and depth on invading infantry and heavy guns!”

That’s a threadbare and dishonorable testimony to a most brave, noble and infinite battle for survival, dwarfing Armageddon!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Well said sir.

Few folk have a clue, outside of the territories of the former Soviet Union, of the immense, mind boggling sacrifices, hunger, stoicism and sacrifices, (out of vast proportion to war effort by the rest of the allies), that drove the invincibly arrogant Wehrmacht Nazi war machine to an anemic halt!

It’s conceivable that this alone could have won the war!

Yes ask anyone in the USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the U.K..

They, likely as not, will be ignorant beyond:

“What stupidity of not learning from Napoleons hard won lesson of the ignomy of Russian winters and depth on invading infantry and heavy guns!”

That’s a threadbare and dishonorable testimony to a most brave, noble and infinite battle for survival, dwarfing Armageddon!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks, my dear friend, Fahim,

You also come from a place where survival has never been taken for granted!

Those who think they know, know nothing!

I was photographing a rather tranquil fly on a California poppy when suddenly the was a disturbance and flurry, and I thought hmm, they are mating, how romantic!

Only when examining my pictures later, I discovered that the flower was a savage place of ambush for a larger hunting insect, perched on the petal edge.

It was actually feeding on the living flesh of its victim!

But we always think we know when we look from a distance!

Asher