• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Human Camera

Jim Galli

Awesome Gary. I can't remember how many keys I have on a keyring I use several times every day. Our brains must be like a computer that has selective memory flush.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Thank you for this, Gary. It's absolutely mind-boggling what the human brain is capable of doing, albeit often at the expense of other functions.

doug anderson

Absolutely incredible. You think of what the mind is capable of and think, maybe, everybody has this potential if we only knew how to tap it. I wonder if Oliver Sachs knows about this guy.

I used to do stuff like this when I was young except I couldn't draw. I would describe instead.

The mental phenomenon is termed eidetic vision and depends on being able to conjure up in the minds eye an exact picture of what one has seen. My eidetic vision came from not talking much until just before I went to school. The silence didn't flow from being unable to say words but from neglecting even to think them. I dealt in pictures. For example the "voice in the mind" would never say "Empire State Building". Instead, a perfectly detailed picture of the Empire State Building would pop into my "mind's eye". If I could count that far I would get the number of windows right, which ones had the shades drawn, which were open; perfect.

Going to school forced me to master language (haven't shut up since) and the eidetic images faded. Maybe my dedication to photography is a last grasp to recreate some of those super detailed pictures-in-the-mind?

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Couldn't resist it -

WTD552.gif