• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The new Nikon DSLR

Joel Schochet

There's a lot of speculation on other sites more frequented by Nikon users about the company's teasers and what specs the DSLR to be introduced in less than three weeks will have. Here are a couple of them:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/index.htm
http://www.nikon-euro.com/DoesNotDisappoint/

Thom Hogan has shared his thoughts here: http://bythom.com/

Since this is an equipment-based forum, I think it's appropriate to discuss this here. Frankly, I don't see how it can be as earth-shaking a product [;~)] as the D200; so I'll wait, though not with bated breath. (And that is spelled correctly!)

I have to go along with Thom that's it's a D80 (I think Nikon might want to save "D90" for later), and I would guess that the only special features in common with the D200 are the sensor, LCD screen, "smart" battery, and the multi-function button. Otherwise, I think it will be D70-like in construction. I also believe it's going to be $999 or less (to respond to the Sony Alpha), so that's still a heck of camera for the money.

Meanwhile, I AM turning blue waiting for Nikon to upgrade some lenses with AF-S and VR, especially adding AF-S to the 80-400 VR. And am I the only person who would like to see a 70mm (105mm FOV) f/1.4?

Things have been slow here lately, so let's not be shy.

Joel

Bob Reisinger

New Nikon Camera

This is a strange development! Why would Nikon undercut its new D200 with an identical megapixel camera? Is a metal frame and, perhaps, a few frames per second worth $700 more? With the rapid changes in sensors and other features, most advanced amateurs who haven't already bought a D200 may very well opt for this camera as a low-cost alternative, and wait around until the next generation of cameras comes out with better "bells and whistles," and, more than likely, a cheaper price. ($999 is the same price that I paid for my 6 megapixel D70 a little over two years ago.) Canon uped its Digital Rebel to 8 megapixels about a year ago, and its street price is now $689 from reputable internet firms. That is a great price for a mid-level digital SLR. This is all speculation, because we don't have all the facts, but the new camera appears to be an upgrade of the D70s to 10 megapixels, like Canon did with the Digital Rebel, at a significant premium for the extra 2 megapixels. Nikon might have been better served by avoiding the development and production costs for a new camera and lowering the price on the D200 by several hundred dollars. Higher volume for a good product usually means higher profits.

I very much agree with Joel Schochet's comments regarding development of new lenses. AF-S and VR should be standard on all new lenses. Also, I would like to see a 200 - 500 mm f/5.6 lens, which should be light enough to carry around for wildlife photography, and not as prohibitively expensive as Nikon's current 200- 400 mm f/4.

Bob Reisinger

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Bob Reisinger said:
Is a metal frame and, perhaps, a few frames per second worth $700 more?

Yes. To some.

Didn't we have the same discussion about the D200 vs. the D2x? Fact is that you are willing to pay a lot of money for the one (tiny) feature you need - may it even just be image [no, not picture, the other one].

Josh Liechty

I would pay $700 more (as I did) for a much better viewfinder, mirror lockup, build quality, ability to control two groups of remote flashes, and a host of other small features that I don't use often but that are quite convenient when needed. Many of those features are minor, and I could do without them if it meant being able to afford better lenses, but the [lack of a good] viewfinder is what kills the D70/D80 possibility for me.

Andreas Kanon

Two things that Nikon really need to shape up on is.

1. Better ISO noise performance
  2. VR on Telephoto lenses such as 500 and 600

Those two alone made me switch from Nikon to Canon and I will most likely never switch back.

Tom Yi

I hear that the new upcoming Nikon is the D80 using the 10.2MP CCD from Sony. I'm not 100% sure but I think this is the same sensor in the D200.

Nikon surely needs to up the MP ante with the D70s replacement and rather than going for another CCD, they can reduce cost by buying the 10.2 MP sensor from Sony in higher volume and using it in both the D80 and D200. This would be very similar to the Rebel XT and the 30D for Canon. Although Canon states that they are different sensors, the Image quality is identical. What you get with the 30D isn't better absolute imaging quality, but better build, more durability, more features, better AF, and so on and so on. There seems to be plenty who are willing to pay for those features.

I would assume that this would be the same for Nikon as well. We'll have to see if the IQ is the same between D80 and D200, but looking at Sony Alpha A100's review on dpreview.com, I'd say the IQ should be the same among all the Sony 10.2MP CCD equipped camera when shot in RAW (which eliminated the processing program if you shoot in JPEG).

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nikon guys!

Cheers! I'm so happy that Nikon continues to improve its offerings and that we have a Nikon core family growing. Anyone seen with a Nikon is told about this forum needed Nikon members.

I'm a Canon and Bronica guy so I canno contribute a lot but am delighted.

A special joy was the appearance of Zeiss lenses. Not that Nikon wide angle lenses are of the lesser quality of Canon's offering, but because it gives another look and expecially the 50mm 1.4, are perhaps even
revolutionary.

Asher