• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Teddy Boy

Matt Halstead

Hi guys,

Haven't posted a picture for a while as I've been busy editing through a backlog.

First one off the production line:

3980154374_07ba160a03.jpg

A bigger version can be viewed HERE

Read about this shot and others at my photoblog:

Imagespike

Hi,

Mmmm, this face is quite impressive, a perfect choice for a strong portrait ! I really like it : hard face suggesting a hard life but also a strong character, very well served by a sharp picture. Expression of this man is also very interesting : he seems to accept photographer's presence and participates to the shoot, but he keeps a certain distance too, as if he was judging us... Bravo !

Regards,

Cedric.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well done. What does the name indicate? Guess I am out of touch- expected a youngster with a teddy bear.
When I knew them,

Clayton, Teddy boys were swankers, wore long Edwardian, ("teddy"), jackets with double breasted jackets. Behind the longe lapels there were large shaving rasors. They didn't need guns; maybe and iron chain. They hung around in corners in groups with their women, strutting their odd retro style fancy spiffy clothes and menacing everyone. Here's an interesting description from an unknown author:

"The Teddyboy emerged in the 1950s as Britain was coming to the end of post-war austerity and represented the first face of British youth culture. The consumer boom of the 1950s America did not reach Britain until the 1960s but nevertheless working class teenagers could for the first time afford good clothes, a bicycle or motorcycle and entertainment. The clothing that the Teddyboys wore was designed to shock their parents' generation. It consisted of an Edwardian style drape jacket, much too 'camp' for a working class man, suede Gibson shoes with thick crepe soles, narrow 'drainpipe' trousers, a smart shirt and a loud tie - usually of the 'Slim Jim' or bootlace type. The trademark drape jacket was not as impractical as it seems. Not only did it act as a badge of recognition but, as it was made of woollen cloth with lots of pockets, its kept it's owner warm as he hung around in the street and was also good at concealing weapons and alcohol. The Teddygirls adopted American fashions such as toreador pants and circle skirts, although they tended to wear low cut tops to make themselves look less prissy. Girls wore ponytails and the boys tried a number of experimental hairstyles, the most favourite being the overblown quiff with a DA (ducks arse) at the back. More here".

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi guys,

Haven't posted a picture for a while as I've been busy editing through a backlog.

First one off the production line:

3980154374_07ba160a03_b.jpg

Matt Halstead : The Teddy Boy

Well Matt,

This is a special picture. Your click through to the larger image isn't working so here's the larger image for all to enjoy! His stare could be mistaken for contempt, but it's not that. He's looking at you from the standpoint of representing the strength of his group to outsiders, showing a manly not to be taken for granted form. You have captured this very well. The angle of his head and the eyes, seem to express his willingness to be observed by you but from a distance, to make sure he is recognized as having significance. Likely he's an amiable chap, share a smoke or a beer and help you fix your bike or car.

The posture and strong look brings back memories of young Teddy Boys in our area. We'd have to map our walking routes to be able to pass their hangouts, but on the opposite side of the road. Then one was fairly safe. If they walked towards you on your side of the road, get out of their way. However, they were not all violent, rather they expressed a working class answer to being taken for granted. They made their own fashion, had long side burns and lots of attitude and pretty nice shoes.

Hair style was particularly important. No self-respecting bear had anything but the best style. Teddy boys were more classy, covered with Brylcream, combed up and backwards, maybe with some waves and ending behind in a shiny duck's arse.

I like your picture as it carries with it the long passage of time. This man's kids, if he has any, likely have the same clothes but are more mellow and better off, but still belong to the culture and local hangouts and bars. But where does this old soldier hang out?

Asher

Hi Matt,

Great portrait. I like your choice of crop, because cropping a bit from the left makes him look friendlier, cropping a bit from the right makes him look more suspiscious of us. Your crop leaves room for interpretation.

Cheers,
Bart