• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Transpolar Mainline - Built by Stalin's Prisoners (Gulag)

Michael Nagel

There are remains of a railway built by Gulag prisoners.

Photojournalist Amos Chapple traveled along the remains to come back with compelling pictures that still remind of the suffering.

The pictures are here (RadioFreeEurope).

Found on Metafilter.

Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is great adventurism by the reporter! I wonder who paid the considerable expenses? Was it RFE?

@ Michael: Thanks for the education and the useful metafilter link!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I hope I am forgiven by the Photographer, but I feel compelled to show some of the incredible pictures he made to encourage more of us here to follow the link back to his article and read and reread his account of the slave labor of those considered for some reason “anti-soviet” to work under the most inhuman conditions to build a railway for Stalin across the impossible wastelands of Northern Russia for an imagined route to the arctic sea!

I will now try to contact the owner to get the OK for showing his pictures. Follow Michael’s link to the entire article in his original post # 1 above!

Asher