• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Very best, (and best deals), in getting pictures of BIrds in Flight!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
EE29B406-C804-4D43-B9E2-A9C7DC275EA2.jpeg

I have been itching to be able to ready track and birds in flight without breaking the bank!

Previously the Canon 7D version I and II were often the choice putting their pixels at a zoom factor of X 1.6 on the bird in the optical viewfinder.

Now we have mirrorless cameras. From the U.K. we have a systematic rating of mirrorless cameras for birding.

“The location I go to every time is the Red Kite feeding station at Bwlch Nant Yr Arian, near Aberystwyth, Wales.

Bwlch Nant yr Arian

The process is pretty much always the same: close to 3pm (2pm in winter), the kites start to gather in the sky in large numbers (up to 150, more in the cold season). Once the meal is served, they dive in turns to grab the food before disappearing behind the trees.

Because they eat in mid-air, there is always at least one kite that drops a piece of meat into the small lake, followed by another one ready to grab it a few seconds later, giving us photographers an extra opportunity for a dramatic picture.”

I am so impressed and I hope you find it as engaging, fascinating and as encouraging for your own path to birds in flight and in the backyard or hiding in plain sight!

I promise you there is lot to help you in your choices!