• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Total Eggclipse

I know...very corny. It's all I could come up with this evening in my photo a day challenge. I had to do something other than a flower though because that was the subject for the past 5 days running.
James Newman

01-26-09B.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
While some folks use these "photo-a-day" resolutions as motivators, like diet plans, most such initiatives end at about the same time as resolution diets. The most common cause of these plans' death; imaginative anemia. The p-a-d plan quickly just becomes a drag, like a 5th grade school assignment, for many people.

But don't give up yet, James. It's not even the end of January! Remember, My off-the-cuff suggestions, in no particular order, for you to consider.

Re: your egg...There is something momentarily captivating about such a perfect, simple form. Work the light and work the camera angles. You don't need expensive strobes. Work with different fills, with reflective surfaces,....and on an on. There is a tremendous amount for a photographer to learn from such a simple subject. Who cares about repetition?! This is YOUR learning medium, a private journey of exploration. Hell, I'd spend a month just on eggs! (That's not a bad idea.)

My friend, and a wonderful photographer, John Caruso has also embarked on a photo-a-day campaign for 2009. John is an executive with the Anti-Cruelty Society of Chicago, so you will see frequent 4-legged subjects in his work. But he has one of the best eyes I've seen, amateur or professional, and he may provide you with inspiration.

Asher - This was Nikon D3 with 105mm macro lens. I am too lazy to change lenses right now so I am making January my macro lens month. ISO 200 1/60 sec at f/11 with SB-800 flash dialed way down.
Rachel and Ken - I believe you are both on to something. I sometimes, especially lately, find myself waiting until the final minutes of my day to find something to shoot. I may be taking this challenge a little too literally. Nobody but me really gives a hoot if I actually shoot a new picture everyday but that is my whole motivation so it does concern me. I always have to shoot something. The egg ideas were actually very good ones. An entire month devoted to the egg. I think February may be my egg month since it is the shortest month of the year. Trying 31 days of different egg portraits after struggling through 28 just might be enough to send me completely over the edge. And Rachel, I can almost guarantee that sometime during the month of February I will get at least one broken egg photo.
It's only early afternoon and I have been working on some shots for today. I am unsure which I will choose but at least I won't be waiting until the last minute to find something. I looked at your friend John's site today also and you are right...he does have a great eye and I find a lot of his work very unique and interesting.
Now I must go watch "Ice Station Zebra" again for the 300th time.
James Newman

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Now I must go watch "Ice Station Zebra" again for the 300th time.
James Newman

I love that cold-war-era movie, particularly in the dead of winter! Up here it's 17 deg F (for the nth day in a row). This is approximately what I see when I look out my window now:

medium.jpg

...so maybe it's a good day for me to watch I.S.Z., too!

John Angulat

pro member
Hi James,
Sorry to take so long in getting to respond to your post. I love the egg concept! How eggcentric! (ok, couldn't resist that one).
Ken has given some really good ideas, so let's see more eggistential (ok, I'll stop) images!

...and Ken, if you're reading this you have my sincere sympathy. I can't imagine how cold it is out there! However, it does make for some great photo opportunities. I think your image of the lone jogger in yellow is magnificent!

I don't know if I can do a whole month of eggs but I did get at least one more attempt done today. I used my wife's makeup mirror to shoot this, a golf ball, a dragon fly, and other various items and their reflections. This is the egg shot that I liked the best. I will try more because Ken's suggestion on experimenting is a very good one and something I need to do. This was shot with my D3, 105mm macro lens, ISO 400, f/36 and 30 second exposure. Light source was a little from outside and a little from an adjoining room.
James

01-31-09.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Nice image, James.

Sure you could stretch this subject for a least a month. A core goal of such exercises is iterative discovery. One image presents observations that lead to new ideas. This image, for example, presents you with the hint of making an object weightless by using light.