• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Transhumance

Tim Armes

Hi all,

The transhumance, for those who don't know the term, is the seasonal moving of livestock to higher pastures. It's a popular and impressive event to watch as the animals are driven through the towns.

I went to transhumance at Die, France on Saturday. It's an astonishingly hard event to photograph. The animals move fast, the light is constantly changing as you move in and out of shadow areas, there are hundreds of other people all trying to take photos, keeping ahead of the heard is difficult task, and the whole thing's over in a few hours.

Here's a small selection of photos from Saturday. As usual, comments and critiques are welcome. I'll probably return next year to see if I can do better.

http://timothyarmes.com/gallery.php?gal=transhumance

Regards, Tim

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Tim,

You have done very well under the circumstances you've described. Especially, I liked the captions you have chosen for the pictures, very amusing. With my master, peek-a-boo and left or right are my favorites.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem,

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you liked "Left or Right", I really like this one.
"left or right?" is also my favorite of this batch. It reminds of the "Zilveren Camera" award winner of 2006, which is a very prestigious photo award in the Netherlands.

img_28804_0_foto_winnaar2006.jpg

Regards,

Michael Fontana

pro member
Beeing myself a "alpiy" boy, I like these shots.

These packs walking by gave me alwith the feeling of a river, floating through the landscape.
So, I tried that one:

crop.jpg

and yes, it'a nicer, whithout the poeple, but maybe these are the farmers, or stockmen.
Wishing them a good summer!

"left or right?" is also my favorite of this batch. It reminds of the "Zilveren Camera" award winner of 2006, which is a very prestigious photo award in the Netherlands.

foto_winnaar2006.jpg

Regards,

Very nice work Tim!

This triggers sentimental memories from NC.

Once I walked inbetween a herd of wild horses with pregnant mares, a unusual experience in deed.

The day before that walk, I witnessed a bunch of spoiled rich idiots with golf clubs chasing fillies into despair, driving balls against them for "fun." So I took my chances, climbed over the fence and walked straight inbetween the horses and the rednecks, positioned myself in a way that they could not avoid to shoot at me, then started to walk towards them.

I did call the sheriff's office before that and knew they were on their way.

Irritated by a single man walking towards them, a bunch of eight drunken people, they watched me loading the .44 magnunm Marlin rifle that I carried getting ever so slightly more nervous about my appearance. They were trespassing, and besides that, they had injured one filly already, and that is something I am having no time for. I continued closing the gap while they were apparantly discussing their options, so I made it easier for them to choose and started shooting , one missed, the other went straight through the frontwindow of one of their expensive playboy Jeeps, the third finally hit one tire. - I am not a brilliant sniper, but I do get it with a little practise. <grins> - That message was understood, and they did what I expected, and left in a hurry down the only road possible that brought them back to the mainstreet where the sheriff's car was approaching already....

The following Night was moonlit and calm, and I did not find sleep, so I left my tent behind and started to walk slowly towards the herd. I knew that they would know me by then and I was curious as to how they would react. I ended up in the middle of the herd walking slowly beside them for hours, a magical experience that I will never forget.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tim,

You did a great job. I love this one especially!

withman.jpg

© 2007 Tim Armes

This is very metaphorical! In fact it's exceptional. What was it before cropping?

Congrats and thanks for sharing. I'd like to see more! Also this is a perfect candidate for B&W too.

Asher

Tim Armes

Hi Michael,

An interesting interpretation. I like the effect and I find the change compelling. On the other hand, I'm torn between the interest of the photo without people, and the fact that the photo with people tells part of the true story.

I may try retouching the original and deciding afterwards...

Thanks,

Tim

Cem_Usakligil

Sorry!

Hi Tim,

I am not sure whether an apology is due or not, but I'll err on the side of caution and make one anyway. I am sorry that I have posted the picture of those horses (the winner of the Dutch photo award) in reference to your beautiful picture "letf or right?".

"Left or Right?" by Tim Armes:
img_28881_0_black.jpg

I did not do this with the slightest intention of taking away the focus from your own pictures, not at all! After all, this thread is about your pictures. Again, I'm not sure if any focus has been diverted or not but nevertheless, I apologise sincerely . Lesson learnt: next time in a similar situation, I'll post only a URL reference to any external images.

Cheers,

Tim Armes

Hi Cem,

No apology is needed, the photo of the horses is stunning.

I'm just pleased that this series has generated so many replies, especially since I found the subject difficult photographically.

Tim

Tim Armes

Hi Asher,

Actually, this is the one photo that I'm disappointed with. Compositionally I really like it, however the focus is just off and the image is too soft. Had the focus been on either the hand or the eye it would have been great, but it's somewhere in between. I don't think that it'll hold up in print.

It's a shame, because the photo sets the scene for the rest of the series.

Tim

Tim,

You did a great job. I love this one especially!

withman.jpg

© 2007 Tim Armes

This is very metaphorical! In fact it's exceptional. What was it before cropping?

Congrats and thanks for sharing. I'd like to see more! Also this is a perfect candidate for B&W too.

Asher

In the Netherlands, you'd definitely have been jailed <LOL>.
What a great story, though!

Cheers,

Why? At the time in question I was sitting with 5 other people in a sweatlodge. <grins> I bought an Appaloosa from that herd a week later. <grins>

Tim, I LOVE that blacksheep, this is super! <mega smile>

Ray West

Hi Tim,

Actually, this is the one photo that I'm disappointed with. Compositionally I really like it, however the focus is just off and the image is too soft. Had the focus been on either the hand or the eye it would have been great, but it's somewhere in between. I don't think that it'll hold up in print.

If you post a link to the raw original, or whatever, over in the 'touching & repair' forum, then maybe a solution arises. (You'd better ask the moderator there first ;-), may be as one of the hints/tips things?)

Best wishes,

Ray

Tim Armes

Hi Ray,

That's a great idea. I consulted with the moderator and he agreed to put the TIFF up for the challenge.

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim,

If you post a link to the raw original, or whatever, over in the 'touching & repair' forum, then maybe a solution arises. (You'd better ask the moderator there first ;-), may be as one of the hints/tips things?)

Best wishes,

Ray