• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tree Hugger

Harvey Moore

I call this one the "Tree Hugger". He flew ahead of me while I was shooting meadow flowers, and decided to take pity on me, stopped and posed for me to take a few shots.

Does this fit into macro/micro ? My interest is closeup with a bit of the environment around the subject to put it in context.

I did this one with the 5D/300 f4 IS, and I have some extension tubes on the way to help get closer. I am considering a Sigma 150 2.8 macro as well, fits my budget and has some positive reviews around the web.

200031727_8bbc90be17_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Harvey,

These creatures amaze me as the males use all sorts of cavities to magnify the mating calls created by the rubbing of their legs. Each species has their own rhythm and the rate varies with temp!

I wonder what distance you were at? From the EXIF, it seems it was f 6.0 and from the DOF of I guess 6-12mm, so you were about 6 feet away at least, is that correct?

So, have vou decided yet to get the 500 or 500D 77mm Canon close up lens? You also can get inexpensive B&W substitutes for just $52.95!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...mit.x=16&Submit.y=3&Submit=Go&shs=&ci=158&ac=

Asher

Last edited:

Harvey Moore

Hello Asher,

I appreciate your observations.

I have the 500D, it takes me too close to the real macro range for my taste with the 300, plus I am not happy with my technique using it yet.

I have a short Kenko ext tube on the way in, will try that next.

Good guess on the distance, probably about 5.5 feet, razor thin dof. Shot at f8. The af has been very accurate here, but I prefer mf, these old eyes are not good enough.

I have one of these on the way when Jim produces for the 5D, maybe that will help.

http://www.brightscreen.com/eyepiecemagnifier.html

Last edited: