• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tripod questions

David Robertson

Tripod Maximum Load Capacity - What does this refer to exactly? Is it just the camera and lens, or is it camera, lens and head? Looking at Gitzo's tripod specs and descriptions of suitable camera types for each tripod I suspect the latter.

Is a 3lb head on a 3lb tripod too heavy for field use?

My present tripod/head weighs in at 10lbs and although I can carry it all day it would be nice to have something lighter. (My heaviest camera/lens combo is a Canon 1Ds and 70-200 zoom and I also carry a 300mm).

I'm considering the Gitzo G1325, which would save me 2.5lbs with my present head but I'm not sure that the weight saving is good value for money.

Cheers

David

Erik DeBill

David Robertson said:

My present tripod/head weighs in at 10lbs and although I can carry it all day it would be nice to have something lighter. (My heaviest camera/lens combo is a Canon 1Ds and 70-200 zoom and I also carry a 300mm).

I'm considering the Gitzo G1325, which would save me 2.5lbs with my present head but I'm not sure that the weight saving is good value for money.

That depends on what you mean by "field use" and how much you value your money :). I personally want a tripod/head combination that I won't mind carrying 8-10 miles. It has to be light enough that I will carry it every time I go out. I'm very happy with a Gitzo 1258 + Acratech UBH combination (roughly 4lbs total). At that weight, I'm typically carrying more weight in water than I am in tripod + head. I've had no trouble using it for shots with a Canon 20D + 100-400 zoom (~5lbs total). For me, it was worth the money.

Going from 10lbs to 7.5lbs will be nice, but not earth shaking. I'd look at it as a first step towards replacing both the head and the tripod. There are several good ball heads that are lighter weight.

People used to recommend heavier tripods in general and maintaining a certain minimum weight ratio for tripod:head. I think those are probably outdated when talking about carbon fiber tripods. I can't speak for other brands, but I've had two from Gitzo and they are more solid than the heavier aluminum one I used previously.

David,
it's everything you put on top of it. And, I dare to think, under it, too (like an anchor weight).
Keep in mind, though, those numbers can be somewhat "for comparison purposes only".
My Bogen Manfrotto NGED2 specifies something like 15lbs max load capacity, while I leaned on it with the half of my body (I'm 6'2" ~200lbs male) without noticing any tendency to collapse, move or break.
HTH

Erik DeBill

Nikolai Sklobovsky said:
David,
it's everything you put on top of it. And, I dare to think, under it, too (like an anchor weight).
Keep in mind, though, those numbers can be somewhat "for comparison purposes only".
My Bogen Manfrotto NGED2 specifies something like 15lbs max load capacity, while I leaned on it with the half of my body (I'm 6'2" ~200lbs male) without noticing any tendency to collapse, move or break.
HTH

Yeah. I think weight limits on ball heads are the opposite, though. I bought a very light one from Really Right Stuff (a BH-25) and it's very hard to lock it down with a 20D + 17-40, despite having a rated max load of 8.8lbs.

David Robertson

Erik DeBill said:
That depends on what you mean by "field use" and how much you value your money :).

By "Field use" I mean not in the studio.

I value my money a lot, but my vertebrae even more. I like to spend as little as possible in order to buy the features and quality that I need. In other words I'm not particularly hung up on labels and image. In that vain, does anyone have experience of Feisol tripods http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm, specifically the CT-3371 model. They "seem" to be comparable with Gitzo.

Going from 10lbs to 7.5lbs will be nice, but not earth shaking. I'd look at it as a first step towards replacing both the head and the tripod. There are several good ball heads that are lighter weight.

I don't get on well with ballheads and dislike the creep when tightening the ball. I use a Manfrotto 410 3-way geared head, which I love, but realise that a ballhead would give me a good weight saving. The Burzynski head (review here - http://www.naturfotograf.com/burzynski.html) looks very interesting. I particularly liked this part of the review - "Even with my biggest glass mounted on it, there is neither slight creep nor residual vibration when the head is locked into position". Again, does anyone have any experience of this head?

David

Never heard of Burzynski..:-(

Using myself the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead v2, which weighs way less than 1 kg...

Also, after being through the American Southwest dust baptisms, I'm kinda suspicious of any ball coating, being it teflon, nylon or anything else.

One trip to the slot canyons - and this ballhead will literally "bite the dust"... (pure IMHO)

Mike Spinak

pro member
Tripod Maximum Load Capacity - What does this refer to exactly?

As far as I've been able to determiine, it's a worthless fiction, to be ignored.

No, but a 3 lb head is usually not necessary for most types of camera use. Also, a 3 pound head will be top-heavy, unless you weight it from underneath.

By the way, I second Nik's recommendation of the Acratech V2. For most uses, it is an excellent choice. It weighs less than half a kg, can hold a lot of weight with no difficulties, and is the most resistant to dust issues of any head I know.

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

Aaron Strasburg

I have a Slik Pro814CF II with the original Acratech UBH. Very stable, no problem getting adequate tension, though I don't own any big glass so I can't say for certain. They're both rated way beyond anything I'm likely to load on them.

The UBH takes some getting used to, V2 seems more conventional so maybe that's a good choice. The open ball design sounds scary but seems to work well at dealing with dust. I second Nik's recommendation on that front.

Aaron

David Robertson

Mike Spinak said:
... but a 3 lb head is usually not necessary for most types of camera use. Also, a 3 pound head will be top-heavy, unless you weight it from underneath
On my 6lb+ Manfrotto its not a problem, but I am concerned if I use it on a lighter tripod.

By the way, I second Nik's recommendation of the Acratech V2. For most uses, it is an excellent choice. It weighs less than half a kg, can hold a lot of weight with no difficulties, and is the most resistant to dust issues of any head I know.
I have an Acratech Utimate Ballhead but I really don't like the way it creeps on tightening the ball. Any creep problems with V2?

Dust? Not really a problem in Scotland. Water resistance and rust proofing can come in handy though!

Kind regards

David

PS Thanks Aaron for your input too.

Mike Spinak

pro member
On my 6lb+ Manfrotto its not a problem, but I am concerned if I use it on a lighter tripod.

I was specifically referring to your question about using a 3 lb head on a 3 lb tripod, not making a generalized comment about 3 lb heads making all support systems top heavy.

I have an Acratech Utimate Ballhead but I really don't like the way it creeps on tightening the ball. Any creep problems with V2?

I haven't had any more creep with the V2 than the seemingly inevitable amount that I also get with the RRS head and the Arca-Swiss head. I suggest you borrow one to try, to decide for yourself.

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

Last edited:
David Robertson said:
By "Field use" I mean not in the studio.

I value my money a lot, but my vertebrae even more. I like to spend as little as possible in order to buy the features and quality that I need. In other words I'm not particularly hung up on labels and image. In that vain, does anyone have experience of Feisol tripods http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm, specifically the CT-3371 model. They "seem" to be comparable with Gitzo.

I don't get on well with ballheads and dislike the creep when tightening the ball. I use a Manfrotto 410 3-way geared head, which I love, but realise that a ballhead would give me a good weight saving. The Burzynski head (review here - http://www.naturfotograf.com/burzynski.html) looks very interesting. I particularly liked this part of the review - "Even with my biggest glass mounted on it, there is neither slight creep nor residual vibration when the head is locked into position". Again, does anyone have any experience of this head?

David
I have used the Feisol 3401 for about 18 months with the Acratech UBH and Acratech Arca-Swiss style plates for my D60, 20D and 5D. Used for hiking and traveling, this combo has been very satisfactory. I've set it up in the snow, in rivers, in sand and had no problems. The charm of the 3401 is that, closed it fits in standard suitcase, without removing the head. It is also light enough for hiking and any other activity short of extreme back backing. Now whether it is as good as a Gitzo, I doubt it. But it costs less than half and it is engineered to last. If you are considering the pod for hard professional use on a daily basis, you should go with the Gitzo; otherwise, the Feisol line merits consideration.

Hope this helps.

David Robertson

Thanks Nathaniel. I have only read good reports about the Feisol range. I like your comment "...it is engineered to last."

I'm off on a shoot for a few days. I'll use my Acratech UBH to see if I can cope with the creep and get used to using a ball head.

David