• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

tripod restrictions

Ray West

Any one know the reasoning behind restricting the use of tripods in some locations (it came up under another topic - Ghetty Museum). Is it because of marking floor, prevention of pro photogs, safety, a combination of the above or some other, or just because the property owner can?

Best wishes,

Ray

Matt Laver

pro member
FWIW I was told by the Getty PR dept at the time I wanted to photograph it that it was to prevent Pro photography and thus let them control Pro access, and thus also control commercial gain from images of the Center. This was seven years ago though, so I can't comment on current policy there.

HTH

Matt

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Matt Laver said:
FWIW I was told by the Getty PR dept at the time I wanted to photograph it that it was to prevent Pro photography and thus let them control Pro access, and thus also control commercial gain from images of the Center. This was seven years ago though, so I can't comment on current policy there.

HTH

Matt

I have tried to overcome that with high ISO. Thought of using a crutch as a monopod!

Asher

I know of at least one locale that allows monopods but not tripods during normal access the last I checked (actually, I was checked at the door with my tripod and I did not enter as the monopod was at home ;o).
Albeit, they do allow special access (likely for a fee) before opening for the day (I have the contact info somewhere).

Mostly beyond preserving value in images of their properties, disallowing tripods retains a better equality of access as there is nothing to trip over.

some thoughts,

Sean

Asher Kelman

Sean DeMerchant said:
I know of at least one locale that allows monopods but not tripods during normal access the last I checked (actually, I was checked at the door with my tripod and I did not enter as the monopod was at home ;o).
Albeit, they do allow special access (likely for a fee) before opening for the day (I have the contact info somewhere).

Mostly beyond preserving value in images of their properties, disallowing tripods retains a better equality of access as there is nothing to trip over.

some thoughts,

Sean

Sean,

I think you are right!

The presence of just 2-3 tripods would then cause considerable danger if the traffic was large or if there had to be an evacuation.

It would be nice if they had a special time for photographers. I discovered in Budapest that there was an unadvertized photographers ticket which permitted pictures where otherwise it was forbidden.

Each place has it's own rules.

"No flash" is generally an absolute condition. Often picture taking is not allowed but may or may not be strongly enforced.

I'd like to know what people's best technics are.

Asher

A great technique is to bore the life out of the person who tries to stop you using a tripod. On one occasion I explained how I needed a tripod because I was shooting infrared which required long exposures, showed the guy the filter, the noise reduction settings, infrared versus visible light and the difference between Nikon and Canon's IR sensitivity. In fact did you know different models have differing sensit.... After 5 minutes of this he left me alone, no doubt convinced all photographers are nutters. Any tedious detail will do - just enough to make sure he looks the other way next time he spots a tripod.

Also use a monopod - it confuses guards as it doesn't fit their rules.

John

John Beardsworth said:
Also use a monopod - it confuses guards as it doesn't fit their rules.

Be careful with security/police/military personal and monopods as they do fit their rules as metal clubs and going too far with them may not be wise. ;o)

Tom Yi

Getty, along with most museums, do not allow tripods.
I don't know the specific reason why. I supose it blocks/impedes flow of the patrons and can set up hazards and what not, along with helping to prevent photogs from taking certain shots.

Alain Briot

pro member
A monopod can save the day and is easier to carry "snick in" than a tripod, and also easier to extend and take down. Great for street shooting, sports, etc. You can move way faster with a monopod, and still get much more stability than handheld.

jjbong

Several museums, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, allow tripods with a permit
during the week. I don't know what the process is to get a permit, nor have I seen tripods in
use in my infrequent visits there.

Diane Fields

Interestingly enough, here in North Carolina, all the museums I've approached prior to visiting do not allow ANY photography--period. I've visited these museums without a camera and will again, but I really would love to photograph--and not even necessarily the subject matter, but architecture, etc. The one that I actually had voice communication with said its just strictly forbidden--due to copyright issues. They won't relent for any reason--sadly.

I had the same situation with one of the museums in Chattanooga, TN also--but photographed the exterior to my heart's content.

Diane

Tom Yi

Funny, my experience has been that most museums allow non flash phtography without any pods (mono or tri) of their own exhibits but do not allow photography of touring/visiting/borrowed art (I guess copyright stuff???).

Asher Kelman

Diane Fields said:
Interestingly enough, here in North Carolina, all the museums I've approached prior to visiting do not allow ANY photography--period. I've visited these museums without a camera and will again, but I really would love to photograph--and not even necessarily the subject matter, but architecture, etc. The one that I actually had voice communication with said its just strictly forbidden--due to copyright issues. They won't relent for any reason--sadly.

I had the same situation with one of the museums in Chattanooga, TN also--but photographed the exterior to my heart's content.

Diane

Diane,

I've come across the narrow attitude to forbid photography. They have the right for sure. However, what would happen if the building was destroyed. how good would their pictures be? I've been in some of the best museums where there best print and books sometimes have inferior color.

Wouldn't it be valuable for civilization if there were always great copies to document what they once had?

Some great museums allow photography of their own collections with no restraint bar no flash.

So there is no weight to argument that ban of photography is needed for preventing forgeries etc.

I personally consider photography in galleries important to my learning. If they have a well printed book, I buy it. Otherwise I take pictures with a Whi-Bal card and get a few representative pictures to allow me to reference styles and designs and see the correct colors. Since I'm not selling or publishing these pictures, the gallery has no actionalable complaint!

This my approach.

Asher

Will_Perlis

"...it blocks/impedes flow of the patrons and can set up hazards..."

Considering the number of stories around about photographers tripping over their very own tripods, I don't want to think about using one in a dimly lit place like the Getty with the oblivious public wandering around. My guess is their insurance company doesn't like the idea either.

Asher Kelman

Will_Perlis said:
"...it blocks/impedes flow of the patrons and can set up hazards..."

Considering the number of stories around about photographers tripping over their very own tripods, I don't want to think about using one in a dimly lit place like the Getty with the oblivious public wandering around. My guess is their insurance company doesn't like the idea either.

Will, this is not a laughing matter!

I myself was so lost in my thoughts, framing perfectly the beauty of the Walt Disney Concert Hall's steel "Sails" at sunset, and forgot that my tripod was 1 ft from a 30 ft drop off.

As I moved the tripod forward a little, the ground vanished. Not a good thing!

I wonder how many photographers have made the same mistake?

Asher

Will_Perlis

Asher,

I'm not laughing 'cause I've come close to hooking a tripod with my foot a few times and only managed not to due to luck and extremely fast reaction times. I speculate that the shape of a tripod draws the eyes to its center and top and people simply don't see the bottom portions of the legs. I've seen people walk right into them numerous times.

I'm also paranoid about light stands and always secure the power cord down low so a tug on the cord will tend to slide the stand across the floor instead of pulling it over from the top. IMX even bright orange extension cords are invisible to some folk who are apparently totally oblivious to their surroundings.

Gary Ayala

1) Safety (tripods pose a potential tripping hazard); and
2) Space ... (tripods = the space of two people)

Additionally, US museums typically allow their exhibits to be photographed (non-flash of course), but do not allow photography of loan/visiting/traveling exhibits (works not in the venue's possession).