• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Trying my hand a macro.

Jim Olson

This is the first thing I saw walking out of my house & I wanted to try the macro switch on my new lens. Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro
I did crop just to see how that looks also.
I believe it is a grape hyacinth.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
F5.6 at 1/250 sec ISO 100 pretty easy to hold steady!

Was the picture cropped?

Do you add an S-Curve or sharpen?

Asher

Asher Kelman

It could be that your calibration for AF is slightly off.

Try manual focus too and look at the difference.

You can focus on the 6” mark of a 12” ruler, (set at an angle of 45 degrees), and see where it is sharp.

Asher

Robert Watcher

Jim. Don’t worry about calibrating and all that kind of stuff. There is nothing wrong with your focus. I took the liberty to sharpen your image so that you can easily identify in the red outline, where the areas in focus are.

Macro is a speciliazed type of photography that takes some effort to master. In this case you simply don’t have enough depth of field at f5.6, to get much more than the sliver in focus that you have. You really will want to use small apertures of even f16 or f22 to obtain maximum focus (depth of field).

it is so effortless really, to Google or search Youtube with terms like ”macro photography tutorial” to help you understand the process.

At least you have given it a try and got your first result using this lens. Now you are on your way.

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Jim. Don’t worry about calibrating and all that kind of stuff. There is nothing wrong with your focus. I took the liberty to sharpen your image so that you can easily identify in the red outline, where the areas in focus are.

Macro is a speciliazed type of photography that takes some effort to master. In this case you simply don’t have enough depth of field at f5.6, to get much more than the sliver in focus that you have. You really will want to use small apertures of even f16 or f22 to obtain maximum focus (depth of field).

it is so effortless really, to Google or search Youtube with terms like ”macro photography tutorial” to help you understand the process.

At least you have given it a try and got your first result using this lens. Now you are on your way.
I may agree with you Robert, however we do not know where the initial focus where…
Micro adjustment for each lens/camera is IMHO essential, with all camera MFRs. It is a question of tolerance when each items comes out of the production line; lens and camera bodies.

Producing perfect (zero tolerance) products would be far too expensive for MFRs, this is why all of them (for pro and semi pro cameras) have introduced the possibility of micro-adjustment.

Of course doing this on a zoom lens as a 70-300mm is a bit tricky, one have to decide which length to achieve the setting, personally I would do on 200mm…

I, BTW and by curiosity, would like to know what raw developers Jim does use…

nicolas claris

It could be that your calibration for AF is slightly off.

Try manual focus too and look at the difference.

You can focus on the 6” mark of a 12” ruler, (set at an angle of 45 degrees), and see where it is sharp.

Asher
Using a tripod, central focus point, wide open, no stab[iblizer] (if any)
Put the ruler at 20 times the focal lens (i.e 6 meters for 300mm / 1,4 meter for 70 mm)

nicolas claris

Oh, Isee in another post that you use "Shotwell", I have no clue about its possibilities (I'm on Mac)…
Does anyone here knows ths software?

Asher Kelman

You can’t microadjust a 10 D.

Simply refocus each time and take several more shots. As each time you focus, there will be slight variations in AF. As a result, one the shots will be sharper!

In between shots, focus on anything nearer, and then back to your subect of interest.

Asher

Jim Olson

You can’t microadjust a 10 D.

Simply refocus each time and take several more shots. As each time you focus, there will be slight variations in AF. As a result, one the shots will be sharper!

In between shots, focus on anything nearer, and then back to your subect of interest.

Asher
TNX for the info. And this lens focuses differently than my old lens. I have had to put it in Manual mode a few times now to get the shot.
No biggie, but different. I'll get use to it lol