• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Under the dome

Paul Abbott

Nice shot, it has all the right amount of lines and repetition to give one the idea of what this place architecturally offers without having to show the whole thing. I do wonder about that picture frame in the bottom right corner though...it takes my eye away from that beautiful domed interior.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Taken inside the US Capital Building, Washington, D.C.

Jim,

Notwithstanding Paul's valid point about the lower right frame imposing on the otherwise stellar composition, I commend you for your approach. Thinking like this is valuable in finding the essence within a structure in some shorthand. You have done that extraordinarily well. I must say, such approaches uncommon enough as few of us take the time to look for the key features that make the architecture work so well.

For just the originality of the angle, you win out and this remind me of a picture of the Eiffel Tower, arguably the most photographed tourist sport in the world, that sticks in my brain. It's by Cem Usakligil and it's simplicity and reference to the architecture floored me then and sets a standard for something "we could have done ourselves" but didn't! It's here.

I have great respect for folk slowing down and thinking more about the composition and its relationship to the structure of the elements. We can learn a lot from your picture of this dome.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher