• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: V over U

Michael Nagel

Nearby the train station where I saw this, there was this architectural feature. I could have added it to the other thread but as I like geometry I decided to use an extra spot for it.

V over U vo​

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nearby the train station where I saw this, there was this architectural feature. I could have added it to the other thread but as I like geometry I decided to use an extra spot for it.

Best regards,
Michael

V over U vo​

Michael,

A repeated design of rectangles in a U shape with the form of a V in the lower center. It's mesmerizing but how does it fit in with the human condition, such a vision beyond my liking it?

This is so hard and shiny and beyond any group memory of human beings. We have until this technical and industrial age,, relied on stone, mud, rock, grasses, wood and the like, all natural materials to make out buildings. Now with stark forms in glistening steel, we are free from the constraints of the older materials and now design can be based on abstractions like geometrical shapes.

For millennia, humans have made buildings and forts in squares, rectangles, ovals and circles. However, now we can also go beyond these forms with surfaces that have never been experienced by man previously. So this is where the steel structure we see has to fit in. Are we relating it to previous buildings from cave to mud huts all the way to castles and cathedrals or is this registered in our minds in relation to either art or else school geometry?

For sure this form itself asks for our attention. But where in our pantheon of values does this register as being good? I say, " It is!" but why am I right?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Thanks. In fact, this is part of an oval opening in a structure connecting two buildings.
Not that unusual as it seems from the picture...

Best regards,
Michael

Paul Abbott

Michael, it looks like they're some nice multiple aspects on offer in looking to photograph this building. I see other opportunities on offer here too.
Yours is a very worthy document and photograph. For my taste, I would like to have seen more of the design along the bottom of the photograph and a little less from the top. I think this would balance things better and give a better base, grounding and contrast to the curved elements in the scene...that's just my two slung though. :)

Michael Nagel

Paul,

Thanks. I see what you are aiming at. I like it this way, but nevertheless I will return there for more.
This was the only picture from the building that day as we were a bit in a hurry.

Best regards,
Michael