• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Vintage or abandoned Cars!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is shown previously in the Tonopah Workshop threads.

This was the last shoot on the last day. This was the time for the diehards who stayed to the very end!

_MG_2452__MG_2453-2 images_CAR800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Car Rusting in a Field

Canon 5DII 24mm TSE B&W

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Cars tell of times in our lives! Abandoned cars and trcuks can speak of entire generations! Share you favorite discoveries!

This is from Tonopah temptation workshop 2011. I'm missing a new scanner and darkroom! The first image is as scanned from print and the B&W derivative blended back with the original.

Tonopah_Belmont _02 Car in bushesMay 2011 Edited copy 2.jpg

B&W Car drivern into bushes Belmont.jpg

Asher Kelman: Driven into Bushes,
Belmont Nevadah Ghost town
8x10 Chamonix 150 mm super Symmar XL Kodak Portra 400 NC
Scanned from Proof Print
Top toned color, Bottom, B&W derivative

Please add your own favorites! Comments welcome!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Note that Jim Galli's and I shot the same truck, him, from the left, with a beautiful soft focus lens and I, from the right with an sharply focused ultrawide view! Different feelings! To me Jim's approach is so much more intimate and immediate. Mine may be more distant, unemotional and merely documentary!

Asher

Asher, so nice to see some of the work with the Chamonix, finally! I would love to see that huge negative up close, an in colour (of all things)! I much prefer the colour version to the B&W conversion myself.

Well, classic cars are not a major theme of my work in general, but I am able to post a couple of contributions taken a couple of years ago:

2750467364_58bfb0c2e0_o.jpg

(HDR, Mantiuk tone mapping)

Futile_Desire_by_philosomatographer.jpg

This last one is just a snapshot really, but the evening had a certain... atmosphere...

DL4_1281.jpg

As soon as I can find them, I will post a couple more!

Doug Kerr

Just around the corner, Here in Weatherford, Texas, on US 180 (it was once US 80, the main east-west route at this latitude), we have a truly remarkable and historic establishment, Studebaker Farm.

Owned by John and Donna Brooks, it is recognized as a unique resource for Studebaker aficionados, offering parts, manuals, and yes - restorable Studebaker cars and trucks.

Here's a view of the forecourt from the edge of the highway:

Studebaker_F24870R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Studebaker Farm, Weatherford, Texas

We see (just behind the sign post) a Studebaker Lark (I'm not sure what model year, but is has 1968 Texas license plates). Mixed in with the Studebakers are a Buick, a Ford, and an International Harvester school bus.

Just a half mile or so west of Studebaker Farm is this extraordinary Studebaker:

Studebaker_F24883R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: 1950 Studebaker Commander

It's a 1950 Commander, likely of the Land Cruiser variant, and extraordinarily long. It may well have been custom modified - it is longer than the regular Commander Land Cruiser Limousine.

Studebaker never did well with naming models. From 1928 through 1937, their entry-level model was called the Dictator (except in Europe and South America, where, after the first little while, it was marketed as the Director).

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

In 1907, Henry Ford began the design of what we would today call an internal combustion tractor, visualizing that it would revolutionize agriculture (at the time wholly dependent on the horse, mule, and ox for tractive effort).

In 1920, Ford, with his son Edsel, founded Henry Ford and Son to pursue the tractor business. Design was put in the hands of the two principal designers of the successful Ford Model T automobile (both born in Hungary, by the way).

In 1916, the company introduced the Fordson Model F tractor, which did for the tractor business what the Model T had done for the automobile business. Henry Ford and Son was absorbed into Ford Motor Company in 1920, but continued the Fordson brand for its tractors for some while. Later models carried the Ford brand, and the Fordson brand was discontinued in 1964.

We are fortunate here in Weatherford, Texas to have a nice specimen of a Fordson Model F on display by the city in front of the old municipal generating station.

Fordson_F20389R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Fordson Model F tractor

I suspect it was made in about 1924.

This specimen had been equipped with a White Tractor Hoist, made by Oklahoma Engineering and Foundry Company, Muskogee, Oklahoma. It is actually what we would today call a winch. We see it here:

Fordson_F20398R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Fordson Model F tractor - White Tractor Hoist

The mechanism was driven by the tractor's power takeoff output shaft. Power takeoff on those days was by way of a pulley on the side of the tractor, driven by a shaft coming out the side of the transmission (there was an internal clutch in the path) which drove (stationary) agricultural machinery by way of a leather belt.

In this case, that shaft is commandeered to drive a chain leading to the rear (see the chain housing on the right of the figure). The winch drum was mounted coaxially with the left axle, inboard of the left wheel. Very clever (likely designed by a Cherokee).

A sliding pinion (running on a fat splined shaft) would be engaged to a large gear on the drum to enable the hoist system. Actual hoisting, though, was controlled by the power takeoff clutch. A band brake was used to control payout of the cable (we see the lever for engaging the drum drive pinion reaching around it - the Cherokee are eminently practical).

Here we see, from the left side, some interesting features of the engine:

Fordson_F20405AR.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Fordson Model F tractor - left side of engine

Above the radiator was a quite large water tank, with an oval cap intended to allow easy filling with a bucket. There was a large fuel tank; the engine ran on what was essentially kerosene.

Induction air was cleaned by bubbling it though a tank filled with water.

The ignition system was like that of the Model T. There was an ignition coil for each spark plug (this is a four-cylinder engine, about 20 hp). Each coil, in a nice wood box, with dovetail joints at the edges, and filled with tar (I can today conjure up the strange scent of that combination), has a moving armature with a normally closed contact in the primary circuit of the coil, so that when energized it would cycle like a buzzer, developing a train of high voltage pulses at the secondary.

A timer, mounted where we would later have the distributor, fed battery voltage to the coil for each cylinder when it was time for it to fire.

The terminals of the coils were flat lead domes, reminiscent of the center contacts on old incandescent lamps.

The coils were placed in a steel box, and a wood cover equipped with contact springs brought the primary and secondary leads to each. Thus any of the coils could be easily replaced if needed, or removed to fiddle with the "buzzer" contacts.

By the way, the Fordson Model F had no brakes for the tractor itself. The final drive (in the differential) was a worm gear arrangement. Because of the frictional properties of a worm drive, it would not allow "backflow" of motion. When the drive clutch was released (with a pedal, in the modern style), the tractor came to a stop, even if on an incline.

Eugene Farkas, the principal engineer (as I said before, of Model T fame) is credited with first using the engine crankcase, the transmission, and the differential (all quite robust) as a monolithic structural member, completely eliminating the need for any other frame at all. This became common on most agricultural tractors from then on - the drive train was the frame.

Best regards,

Doug

StuartRae

While I was in the Lake district in April, I went to a vintage vehicle rally. (The term vintage strictly applies to cars built between 1919 and 1930, but it'll serve the purpose here).

I've already posted some commercial and agricultural vehicles here, but at Asher's request here are some more.

A Chevrolet pick-up.
IMG_0684-01.jpg

A 1914 Model T (strictly Edwardian rather than Vintage)
IMG_0697-01.jpg

From the lettering on the hub caps, I think this is a REO.
IMG_0700-01.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

StuartRae

And here are some Classics (cars built after 1945).

A Sunbeam Stiletto (derivative of the Hillman Imp) from the sixties.
IMG_0686-01.jpg

A Lotus Cortina. This is a Mk. 2, which didn't have the ultra close-ratio gearbox, aluminium body panels and A-frame rear suspension of the early Mk. 1. It was therefore possible to drive it in traffic without destroying the clutch and to use maximum power in 1st gear without creasing the rear wings.
IMG_0690-01.jpg

A 1957 Austin A35 pick-up, raced in the late fifties by Jimmy Bloumer.
IMG_0691-01.jpg

A Corvette Stingray.
IMG_0698-01.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

While I was in the Lake district in April, I went to a vintage vehicle rally. (The term vintage strictly applies to cars built between 1919 and 1930, but it'll serve the purpose here).

A Chevrolet pick-up.
IMG_0684-01.jpg

A 1914 Model T (strictly Edwardian rather than Vintage)
IMG_0697-01.jpg

From the lettering on the hub caps, I think this is a REO.
IMG_0700-01.jpg

Stuart,

You showcase each car wonderfully with no clutter! Each one is so unique. Look at the care they have been given! The bloated bulbous Chevy is so different from the skinny formal Edwardian. Now the last car, is simply superb. Exactly perfect for touring. Just need a driver.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Just a half mile or so west of Studebaker Farm is this extraordinary Studebaker:

Studebaker_F24883R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: 1950 Studebaker Commander

It's a 1950 Commander, likely of the Land Cruiser variant, and extraordinarily long. It may well have been custom modified - it is longer than the regular Commander Land Cruiser Limousine.

Studebaker never did well with naming models. From 1928 through 1937, their entry-level model was called the Dictator (except in Europe and South America, where, after the first little while, it was marketed as the Director).

Doug,

Can't you get it from them? This would be a gem to finish up. They have already done the yeoman's part of the work! it also has tires so likely it moves!

Asher

StuartRae

Hi Doug,

I've looked at some images of the Studebaker Commando, and none of them have the extra panel between the doors. It looks so out of place that I'd guess it's been cut in at some time.

I wonder if you can cast some light on the car I think is a REO? All I can find out about the company is that it was formed by Ransom E. Olds in Lansing, Michigan and produced cars from 1905 to 1975. Originally the company was to be called "R. E. Olds Motor Car Company," but the owner of Olds' previous company, Olds Motor Works, objected. Olds then changed the name to his initials. Olds Motor Works later became Oldsmobile. One of its models was the inspiration for the name of the successful rock band REO Speedwagon.

IMG_0700-01-a.jpg

IMG_0700-01-b.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Stuart,
I've looked at some images of the Studebaker Commando, and none of them have the extra panel between the doors. It looks so out of place that I'd guess it's been cut in at some time.
Yes, and the window in it is certainly out of keeping with the overall design (lloks like part of a bus).

I wonder if you can cast some light on the car I think is a REO?
This is a link to a page with an image of an "REO Speedwagon 14" of unspecified vintage:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2260993810034985960IlKmVs

I'll look around a little more when I have the time.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Dodge tough............?
original.jpg

Duke,

Wow this is not only a great addition but also a wonderful composition. Maybe a 0.5 cm to 1.0 cm off the bottom? The landscape setting really complements the truck so well! That saffron yellow is a great component! Where is this?

Asher

Duke,

Wow this is not only a great addition but also a wonderful composition. Maybe a 0.5 cm to 1.0 cm off the bottom? The landscape setting really complements the truck so well! That saffron yellow is a great component! Where is this?

Asher

Thank you.. It's on the Palouse outside of Pullman, WA.

Mark Hampton

abandoned Cars!

seemed to fit in this thread .... my son leaves them around... maybe he thinks that someone will clean up after him. he is just 3 and a half so has an excuse..

CARCARCARCHOPPERs.jpg

car.chopper.boat - M hampton​

Cheers

Asher Kelman

That a laugh! Mark!

We've that too, but grandkids! I press the button of the schoolbus and they dance!

Now you need to dig through your boxes and get us some real vintage ones!

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Tonopah_Belmont _02 Car in bushesMay 2011 Edited copy 2.jpg

B&W Car drivern into bushes Belmont.jpg

Asher Kelman: Driven into Bushes,
Belmont Nevadah Ghost town
8x10 Chamonix 150 mm super Symmar XL Kodak Portra 400 NC
Scanned from Proof Print
Top toned color, Bottom, B&W derivative

I like these images a lot Asher. Both versions work so well, I think I'd choose the color one to hang on my wall. Congratulations!

Ruben

Asher Kelman

Ruben,

This is perfect for B&W. Is this done with film?

_MG_7065.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Left Behind

What a sad face peeping out between the wooden planks! So, how did you come across this poor imprisoned vehicle?

Also thanks for your comments on my picture.

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Ruben,

This is perfect for B&W. Is this done with film?

What a sad face peeping out between the wooden planks! So, how did you come across this poor imprisoned vehicle?

Hi Asher,

Thanks for your comments. It's interesting this coincidence of cars trapped under wood!

This is a digital conversion and I did tried to make it look like film. The car is not far from a place in the country that I visit regularly, it used to be a school bus, now it serves this quieter function in a small woodworking shop.

Regards,

Ruben

Martin Evans

And here are some Classics (cars built after 1945).

A Sunbeam Stiletto (derivative of the Hillman Imp) from the sixties. [big snip]

Regards,

Stuart

A gorgeous collection of classic car photos. All in superb condition - their owners must spend a small fortune keeping them that way.

I remember the Sunbeam Stiletto. I also remember it being reviewed in a motoring magazine. I don't know whether the journalist was trying to be witty, or whether he just had a Freudian slip, but he wrote that the Stiletto "had stab-in-the-back acceleration."

Martin