• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Visit to a boat

Antonio Correia

Last Sunday we went to visit a German boat anchored in the harbour. I made some shots with the wide angle, all stacked as the areas were too different in terms of light.
The ropes attracted my attention. The other photo is just a way to show how stacking shots is rewarding.

i-FGwDLrX-XL.jpg

i-fbcRrTN-XL.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Antonio,

Both lovely and interesting shots, with the results of the exposure stacking very nice.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Last Sunday we went to visit a German boat anchored in the harbour. I made some shots with the wide angle, all stacked as the areas were too different in terms of light.
The ropes attracted my attention. The other photo is just a way to show how stacking shots is rewarding.

i-FGwDLrX-XL.jpg

i-fbcRrTN-XL.jpg
This is amazing: handheld and all those ropes have to be aligned!

Sup result. I love this !

Asher

Asher Kelman

Doug Kerr, I fine tune the adjustments on LR so the images do not look HDR...
Bellow another one with 7 shots ! Handheld. Not bad.

i-BS56hJN-XL.jpg

So this boat arrives and do they just let folk swarm on board or you had to find someone to get permission.

What is the story? Is this a German navy training ship for young sailors?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Yes Asher, it is a training ship for young sailors stopping by in Setúbal where the visits were allowed for a couple of hours. :)
A last one of this set
i-k66T2mR-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

Yes Asher, it is a training ship for young sailors stopping by in Setúbal where the visits were allowed for a couple of hours. :)
A last one of this set
i-k66T2mR-XL.jpg
This is a fabulous experience for the novice sailors as much of the skills learned here are no longer current on a missile packed destroyer with sonar and radar!

Still the comtaderie and athleticism essential to keep such a complex and fine sailing ship afloat instills in the young seamen the essence of being a seafairing creature.

Wits, knowledge, muscle and bravery are required for these grand sailboats whereas the destroyers or submarines are more a matter of electronics, plumbing and computer aided navigation.

I doubt that more than a few reliable sonar or radar operators could actually manage a vintage monster sailboat such as this.

So this boat must be an event and experience they will treasure all their lives!

One must think of the captain and his officers as an all star basket ball plus football tesm that can direct the crew in a storm and bring everyone home safely!

This is simply awesome!

I am so pleased you had this rich opportunity. Did they demonstrate the kids climbing the ropes?

Asher

Asher Kelman

No Asher, they were just seat and talking...
:)
I think that they visited Boston some 35 years ago and had demonstrations, or perhaps it was New York andcthr amazing parade of the vintage sail boats. At that time, when they sails into a harbor, all the young sailors were at attention all the way up the ropes.

Imagine that and the dozens of fire boats shooting 20-30 meter jets of water into the air as they passed.

The craft require amazing crews and discipline to manage all the ropes and sails. It’s very exciting that you could actually come on board this special boat!

Asher