• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Film: Vivian Maier....Indeed!

Jim Galli

Although Wendy Thurman began a thread about her in Sept of 2009, I thought I would start a new one with the artists name in the title as this lady has captured my interest of late. I'm a relative new-comer to her wonderful work. The work has been recognized today by the New York Times.

Lots of names get thrown around, but I think Helen Levitt comes closest and is almost as unknown as Vivian Maier. Do some searches on Helen if you enjoy Vivian's work.

Leave your bright oversaturated colors behind for a few moments, and soak in some Kodak Tri X in square format. A Rollei and Tri-X was a tour-de-force that is nearly lost now!

Some other links.

The fellow who discovered her nearly lost work!

Chicago Magazine Gallery

Mike Shimwell

Hi Jim

Yes, Vivian Maier'swork is good. She clearly sruck at it without any recognition - a lesson for the rest of us perhaps?

As for a Rollei and Tri-X, they're probably less expensive than ever, but disappearing all the same.

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jim,

What a find! There are a lot of unsung heros. I'm so inspired by her discovery. Her work will influence a lot of folk, myself amongst them.

Asher

John Wolf

Thanks for the link to "her" site. Nice to see her work collected like this and presented so well. I'm in the Chicago area and saw her show.

I was so inspired that I dusted off my Rollei TLR not long ago, thinking I'd give film a try. No way. It's all 1s and 0s for me now. But there's no denying the beauty of those large, square negatives.

John

Helene Anderson

I came across her by chance, looking through this and that on the internet. I found the story of John Maloof and his work after his discovery as interesting almost as the initial work of Vivian Maier.

Great photos, great story.

I was curious, did a search and found this site.