• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

WA for my A7r - conundrum

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Still can't work out what to do about a wide angle lens for my A7r.

I have approx £1000 put aside from selling my canon gear.

I need a wide angle solution period, I do not have anything wider than 50mm which I could use for pro work. Specifically architecture, people and urban landscape/street. Although I treasure the softer older look of my 50mm and 85mm or indeed my single coat 35mm, for paying work I need a modern look lens although I still treasure character.

Until now I have used and loved my Canon 16-35LII for these tasks. It's biggest failing was the corners which never sharpened up. That and the fact that it's huge on an A7r.

So here are the choices.

Nikon 14-24mm. The obvious choice that creams all opposition in the corners and just in general. Price is more than good for what it is. The filter ring turns the way I'm used to from my Pentax lenses. Cons are the size, the size, the size (did I mention that the size is a problem?) and the fact I really need polarisation for commercial architectural shooting. That and being prone to flare when shooting in the middle east is a real problem.

Zeiss 18mm f3.5 This would seem to be a great solution, small, same filter thread as my polariser. I've seen samples on a D800e and the corners are good enough for my uses. However I haven't yet seen samples on the A7r whose corners are notoriously choosy with lenses. Cons are the fact that it's a lot of money for a single focal length but more so, I can't test one out here. It's a two week special order item with no returns. I've spoken to more than one person who had one with decentering, something even zeiss seems to not be immune from, it's too much of a gamble if I can't test one first. This does seem to be my best option if I don't wait for the sony offering.

Nikon 20mm f2.8 AFD. The photozone tests this as sharper at both centre and corners than the above Zeiss at f8. Half the price too and easy to get and test. Cons are that it's not really wide enough for a super ultra wide angle, neither here nor there if that makes any sense? I've only just seen this lens, never seen the results though or what it's drawing looks like.

Zeiss 25mm f2. I love the look from this lens, I really do. It would be a dream lens to use and a focal length I love (I'm a big fan of 24mm). For a serious character lens like this I might be happy to ignore the fact that's it's not so wide. Cons are having to stitch for wide scenes and architecture. That and the corners are reportedly not very good at infinity even when stopped down. It's also just out of my price range. The f2.8 version of this lens does not have that good corners, similar to my canon in fact.

Sony FE 16-35mm f4. Still as yet unannounced but heavily rumoured. Would seem by far to make the most sense. Cons are that the price is likely to be rather scary, copy variation is a serious issue with the sony lenses and if the FE Zeiss 24-70 is anything to go by, hoping for good corners might be rather optimistic.

Here are lenses I'm not considering. Samyang choices. They're not built well and the 14mm has significant smearing on the corners, bit too wide also. Canon, well I owned and already sold the 16-35mm, again corners plus size. Ditto the Nikon 17-35 (corners of both of them, the f4 is worse). The Sony E mount 16-35mm seems good but is way over the budget, especially by the time I've bought the adaptor. The 20mm FD lens, although good, is really not up to that sensor and I know this may sound finicky but I'm used to turning the focus ring the other way. I've tried the OM 21mm f3.5, 20 year old designs just don't have sharp corners on this sensor I'm afraid.

Is there anything I've been missing? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ben,

Take this excuse to wish you and anyone else here celebrating, a happy Passover! I like the spread of the table, the friends and family together and the specials like chicken soup, make sure there's carrot and dill in it, LOL with matza balls, horseradish, charoses, (nuts apples chopped and moistened with wine) and matzo crumbs everywhere.

To lenses. what about the sigma "Art" DG lenses with an adapter. That should be in your budget.

Asher

Jerome Marot

I need a wide angle solution period, I do not have anything wider than 50mm which I could use for pro work. Specifically architecture, people and urban landscape/street. Although I treasure the softer older look of my 50mm and 85mm or indeed my single coat 35mm, for paying work I need a modern look lens although I still treasure character.

There aren't many choices in wide angles if you require perfect corners on the A7r. There aren't any choices if you require small size and focus in Nikon/Pentax direction as well.

I would suggest to buy the Sony E to A-mount adapter (you'll need it sometimes anyway) and a second hand Minolta 20mm. It is not perfect, but still reasonably sharp, it is quite small and not too expensive and since it would AF you can ignore the focus direction. You could also consider the Sony-Zeiss 24mm f/2.0 in A-mount, a very good lens.

Happy Passover.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
First of all thanks all!

It is a problem, there is a dearth of options out there. Perhaps it is just worth waiting to see what Sony brings out. To be 100% honest if it wasn't for the corners of my Pentax K mount 24mm, I'd keep it and stop looking elsewhere, the look and rendition is lovely and the sharpness, good enough. Thing is that by the time you've added an adaptor to regular sized lenses, if they aren't tiny they are huge! Trying to find out if there are any decent rangefinder 24mm lenses that work on an A7r which aren't a summilux and priced accordingly :)

potential wideangle for the A7r

Beni, I've got a Zeiss Biogon 21/2.8 in an M bayonet mount which I used on the M8 extensively (as a 28-mm eff). It's pretty long and narrow, so I suspect that it is fairly telecentric. Care to try it out?

Hag sameach,

scott

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Thanks Scott, according to this article any Biogon lens is going to be a problem. I don't have an M adaptor either which is annoying. That said we do have to meet up for a shmooze some time and play with the A7r and some different lens choices.

Thing is this. I bought the A7r because I was fed up shlepping the heavy DSLR gear, I'm no longer shooting pro event work and am loving the slower pace and (relatively) tiny size of my current equipment. I have a couple of tiny pentax primes which suit me well but a wide angle solution as yet still escapes me. I could get either the Zeiss 25mm f2 or f2.8 or the Sony Zeiss 24mm f2 but they're all big lenses. Not big on a DSLR but big on a camera like this when you've added the adaptor. The camera is crying out for a rangefinder sized wide solution which just works. There was a rumour started by Roger Cicala from Lensrentals that metabones was looking to design an adaptor with glass inside to correct rangefinder glass problems, apparently it is optically a relatively simple solution. I'm wondering whether it's a work in progress or died at birth.

Thanks Scott, according to this article any Biogon lens is going to be a problem. I don't have an M adaptor either which is annoying. That said we do have to meet up for a shmooze some time and play with the A7r and some different lens choices.

.... .

Some of the things I have read leave me thinking that the A7r is just not intended for wide angle use. The best results I have seen were with a Voightlaender 12/1.8 Ultron, and there is still plenty of vignetting. The sensor in the A7r is the same as the one in the D800E, I understand. That sensor operates without an AA filter in a funny way, by having two AA filters sandwiched so that they cancel out. But this makes for a thick cover glass, and the optical path length to the corner pixels is much longer than the path to the pixels in the center. The Zeiss 21/2.8 Biogon and the Voightlaender 21/4 both have their last glass surface about 4-5 mm inside the mount surface (closer to the imaging chip), but the last element is bigger in the Biogon than in the Voightlaender. The DLSR lenses which are said to work better on the A7r probably have their last glass surface 5 mm or more further from the image plane. Anyway, I will try out a few of these on my M240 tomorrow (with lens recognition off) and let you know how the results compare with the lenses which did best in a side-by-side comparison on both A7r and M240.

scott

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Hi Scott,

It's not the same AA filter thingy that the D800e has, the A7r has no AA filter at all. What it does have is microlenses and that is the cause of the rangefinder wides problem from what I understand.

Hi Scott,

It's not the same AA filter thingy that the D800e has, the A7r has no AA filter at all. What it does have is microlenses and that is the cause of the rangefinder wides problem from what I understand.

What is your source on that? The manufacturers are very close-mouthed about AA and microlens issues -- these techniques are basically trade secrets since patent violations would be hard to discover. As a result, I read things, especially in forums, that sound like speculative interpretations of hints from the camera makers. John Milich (who is a very skilled machinist) says that the cover layer appears to be 1.5 mm thick (about twice the thickness of the M240's cover layer, microlenses, etc.). That's why I thought it was from the 800E.

scott

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
From the Sony Store's blurb about the A7r:

Ultimate Full Frame Resolution

Capture unbelievably high resolution in combination with high sensitivity and extremely low noise thanks to a newly developed 36.4MP 35mm full-frame Exmor CMOS sensor. Removing the optical low-pass filter brings out the full potential of the sensor and lens, enhancing the sense of clarity with supremely realistic details to the very edges of your photos. An AR coating also reduces flare and ghosting.

Gapless On-chip Lens Design

Every gapless on-chip lens (OCL) is designed and positioned to cover every pixel and eliminate the spaces between the micro-lenses to collect significantly more light. Moreover, each on-chip lens is optimally positioned depending on its location to accommodate the sharper angle of light entering the periphery, which is caused by larger sensor dimensions being teamed with the E-mount's short flange-back distance.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Been doing some thinking.

The Zeiss 25mm and Sony Zeiss 24mm are both large and have the Zeiss look which I'm not too fond of for colour work (great for B&W though). They are both very expensive.

The 24mm FD lens seems to be a good solution. I have seen full rez files from the f2.8 which are more than sufficient for my needs in the corners when stopped down. From the ephotoreview tests the f2 version of the lens is significantly better in the corners and has better wide open properties. Both are much better than the OM 24mm in the corners. I could buy this and the FD 20mm for less than half of the Zeiss. It does seem to make sense. Couple of problems. First is finding the 24mm f2, they seem rather rare. Secondly is that the focus ring and aperture ring both turn clockwise, I'm used to anti clockwise and am wondering whether having half my lenses turning the opposite way to the other half would drive me nuts?

Any thoughts?

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Rumour has it that the Sony FE 16-35mm is to be announced on the 30th. Here's to hoping that it's good!

Taking my Pentax K 24mm SMC with me for the class I'm teaching today. It's almost unuseable due to how the corners work (at infinity they are some 20 meters nearer than the centre, i.e. there is no infinity for the corners) however I like pushing myself sometimes and taking an old and very flare prone wide angle for a handheld night shoot in the Municipality building and grounds is going to make me have to think!

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Here's the only picture I ended up taking with that lens. Fell off my bike today so was feeling rather tender.

merkin.jpg

A7r, Pentax K 24mm f2.8 wide open. ISO 12800 handheld.

Jerome Marot

Sony just announced the Zeiss 16-35mm f/4.0 FE OSS lens. Release is said to be “mid year”. No price info yet.

Asher Kelman

Ben,

Sorry about the bicycle fall! BTW, I hope it has a motor! Hills are tough in Jerusalem!

Here's the only picture I ended up taking with that lens. Fell off my bike today so was feeling rather tender.

merkin.jpg

A7r, Pentax K 24mm f2.8 wide open. ISO 12800 handheld.

So, what's wrong with this? I don't see any problems? Can you share more pictures and state what you want in a new lens? What about a Zeiss 28mm from their Zeiss-Yashica 35mm days. They have interesting properties where the focus plane is closer at the periphery. But I'd expect it's not compact enough.

Frankly, why not get a a Ricoh GR as a 2cd camera. It weighs nothing and the 28mm lens is stellar. It's Paul Abbott's "go to camera" and I have one on me all the time!

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
The bicycle does have a motor, my feet aren't up to doing the hills here without unfortunately. It does mean though that when you fall off you're going quite fast. I'm mostly healed by now though. Thanks for caring though.

What's wrong. Well is that distortion not bothering you? Here I've used it for effect but heck it's on the way to looking like a mild fisheye near the edges! This is after I pushed the distortion correction as far as I could in ACR before I was losing too much of the image. Aside from that there is horrific field curvature. You get infinity focus by 3 yards but the corners never reach infinity focus, it is impossible to get the corners in focus nevermind sharp.

I want a wide angle which can give me a UWA and WA. Specifically approx 16mm and approx 24mm. I don't like 28mm and a 35mm is nice but not enough. Specifically for architectural work (for which I need good corners) and street/people work for which I want good rendition. If I could afford it I would buy the Zeiss 18mm and 25mm (f2) in a shot. But I can't afford both and need more versatility than just one.

The Sony 16-35mm was announced today. I think it will fit the bill. In that like most zooms the fact it is a zoom will make up for lacks elsewhere. Namely the f4 aperture in this case. Just hoping to heck that it will have good corners and not be stupidly priced, ok make that too stupidly priced, this is a 'blue label' Sony after all. Let's see what it looks like as a lens!

Asher Kelman

The bicycle does have a motor, my feet aren't up to doing the hills here without unfortunately. It does mean though that when you fall off you're going quite fast. I'm mostly healed by now though. Thanks for caring though.
You need a helmet and knee-pads!

What's wrong. Well is that distortion not bothering you? Here I've used it for effect but heck it's on the way to looking like a mild fisheye near the edges! This is after I pushed the distortion correction as far as I could in ACR before I was losing too much of the image. Aside from that there is horrific field curvature. You get infinity focus by 3 yards but the corners never reach infinity focus, it is impossible to get the corners in focus nevermind sharp.

Ben,

I thought you liked character! The distortion doesn't bother me for art. For architecture, yes, that's a disaster and too much work correcting each image!

I wish you could try the Ricoh GR with the 21mm add on lens. Here are some panoramas. I'll now take some architectural pictures in a single shot and see how it performs.

Asher

I want a wide angle which can give me a UWA and WA. Specifically approx 16mm and approx 24mm. I don't like 28mm and a 35mm is nice but not enough. Specifically for architectural work (for which I need good corners) and street/people work for which I want good rendition. If I could afford it I would buy the Zeiss 18mm and 25mm (f2) in a shot. But I can't afford both and need more versatility than just one.

Hi Ben,

Just in case you forgot about it, Cem posted some very nice images taken with his Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 on his Sony A7.

Cheers,
Bart

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I didn't, thank you. I had an OM 21mm, never warmed to the focal length to be honest, not wide or long enough for me. Big fan of 16/24/35, heck if I could afford a WATE I would, love the idea of click stop focal lengths.

Asher Kelman

I didn't, thank you. I had an OM 21mm, never warmed to the focal length to be honest, not wide or long enough for me. Big fan of 16/24/35, heck if I could afford a WATE I would, love the idea of click stop focal lengths.

What is the actual focal length of that lens on the full frame Sony A7R?

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Nope nope, I've an A7r. A killer test bed of lenses. Just got my second Pentax Super Tak 50mm 1.4 yesterday (my new pipe too but that's another story), this one is in a lot better condition, cost me $80. It was advertised as 'yellow treated' and had wanted one to shoot colour with. Turns out the guy left it out doors for 3 days. About 3 weeks to short. It's as yellow as my first one. Oh well, now I have both I can do the yellow treatment on my own balcony in the mid east sun while still having another on my camera.

Michael Nagel

Thanks, I wasn't sure if this is a 35mm Zuiko full frame camera true lens focal length designation or "21mm effective" on a modern OMD-M1 4/3 camera.
You are welcome, but why would you want to use a lens with an insufficient image circle (4/3 is just no fit for 36x24mm)?