• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Warning

Chris Calohan

I shot this a few minutes before 420. This was an interesting part of town that while I give it frequency in looking about, it was today's venture that gave me a new perspective on the area as I fixed my camera to my tripod and left it at a specific height, thus forcing myself to share a different perspective on a "regular" scene.

Note the exceptionally black area on the bottom edges of the structure. This is mold which has been left to itself for years and while it appears to be blocked in shadows, the shadows on the garage door are just as deep and have good detail regardless. Nature provides all kinds of oddness.

9639553533_21d636505e_b.jpg

No Parking Anytime: Chris Calohan​

Note-Note**

Well, as it tuned out, when I went back to double check the "mold" issue, I inadvertently fouled the image into a non-recoverable state and it forced me to either leave the explanation as it stood, or rework the image.

The rework revealed more detail in that area than I first processed and I think it reads better with the detail.

So:

9642424933_e5c1ef4a39_b.jpg

No Parking Any Time: Chris Calohan​

The rework revealed more detail in that area than I first processed and I think it reads better with the detail.

Hi Chris,

This indeed looks more natural. All colors also look cleaner and more pure because of the improved blackpoint setting. The translucent bluish purple shadow from an object outside of the frame now also seems more prominent.

There is always a lot to see in such city still lifes.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Chris,

I like the idea of hunting urban reality, as you've done here. Still, I'd like to offer an extra step of editing, if I may.

No Parking Anytime: Chris Calohan

Original

9642424933_e5c1ef4a39_b.jpg

No Parking Any Time: Chris Calohan
Original Reworked CC

No Parking Any Time: Chris Calohan

Original Edited ADK

I've adjusted Black and white points, made my best effort at color correction, (with bare stucco, where paint was peeled off), introduced a minute curve for contrast and then selectively sharpened with the aim to rank the door as most significant. Even sub-ranked the shaded parts of the door slightly lower.

I feel this adds presence to the main subject, yet not far departed from your intent. Anyway, this is just an offering.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I've adjusted Black and white points, made my best effort at color correction, (with bare stucco, where paint was peeled off), introduced a minute curve for contrast and then selectively sharpened with the aim to rank the door as most significant. Even sub-ranked the shaded parts of the door slightly lower.

I feel this adds presence to the main subject, yet not far departed from your intent. Anyway, this is just an offering.

Thank you for fixing the No Parking signs, which had suffered in the earlier edit.

Best regards,

Doug