• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Weatherproof + RAW

Paul Marriner

I'm looking for a digicam in the 4 - 6 MP range, hopefully with 4 - 6X optical zoom, that is both weatherproof and offers RAW. Tall order but perhaps someone is aware of such an animal.

Paul Marriner

Thanks all. Looks like I'll go for the Pentax Optio W20. Less zoom than I really wanted, and no RAW, but my Pentax waterproof film camera has served me well for years. Seems reviews suggest the previous version, W10, yielded much better results than the Olympus.
My RAW requirement stems from the fact that mags I shoot for are now demanding RAW. Blue-sky images aren't a problem (I'm not yet in the eos 1-d category, have to be satisfied with a 20D), but for those rainy day shots, I'm not pulling the 20D out of the Otter. The mags can take the jpegs or not.

Daniel Harrison

pro member
Well in all seriousness, the 1D isn't a bad suggestion (less that $1000) and the plastic bad idea will probably work.

I had a photo course and we went for a shoot and it was raining, not that I was going to let that stop us! So away we went. I had a 1D and the other instructor had a 1D2 and so away we went. One person had their camera in a plastic bag and home made lens hood to keep rain off the lens. It worked! So fiddle a little bit with some stuff at home and see what you get :)

The optio does look nice though, Would be great to take it underwater.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The 1D Mark 1 is IMHO still one of the best Sports cameras. (It is even fine for receptions in weddings!)

For schools and many events it has a file size and speed perfectly adequate for the job and at a giveaway prove of lest than $1200 it's the best bargain out!

Asher

Tom Henkel

Second the 1D

Daniel Harrison said:
Well in all seriousness, the 1D isn't a bad suggestion (less that $1000) and the plastic bad idea will probably work.

I had a photo course and we went for a shoot and it was raining, not that I was going to let that stop us! So away we went. I had a 1D and the other instructor had a 1D2 and so away we went. One person had their camera in a plastic bag and home made lens hood to keep rain off the lens. It worked! So fiddle a little bit with some stuff at home and see what you get :)

The optio does look nice though, Would be great to take it underwater.

..It's getting old, but it fits your price range and has outstanding weather sealing and rock-solid reliability. It is big and heavy however (as is the whole 1D family). Personally I don't find that to be a problem, but some people say it's too much. You probably should hold one (any member of the 1D family will do) before buying.

Also, what Canon announces in a couple of weeks might affect the price of all (or some) 1D family cameras. If you can, you might want to hold off purchasing for 10 or so days.

Tom