• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Web How-to?

Ron Ingram

Hi, All,
I posted here (somewhere) that I'd finally gone digital w/ a Nikon D-80. I'm LOVIN' it!
But naturally I've got a question or 3. What's a good, cheap, if not free program t' remove red-eye from an animal. My wife feeds foxes in th' backyard and, naturally, I shoot 'em. But so MANY shots're just wasted for horrendous red-eye. Not jus' the reflection off th' retina, but real bad "glow" around the eye. I hate t' jus' dump 'em, but what's a guy t' do? Any ideas?
Also, I've got several ready t' post to my website. How do I post digital pix so they can't be stolen?
Tnx,
Ron
www.timepiecephoto.com

Clayton Lofgren

If you are going to get serious about digital, I recomend Photoshop Elements as a good program. It may be all you ever need, but also gives you the basic know-how if you decide to go with the pro version at a later date.
Am not sure about foxes, but you may have a green eye problem as well. In Photoshop you can look at the diferent color channels, and maybe copy the blue channel over the red or green. If it is only red eye the program will fix it easily.
Downsizing your pics to web size makes them pretty useless for anything but viewing on screen.

The best way to fix red eye is not to have it in the image to from start.

The problem is cause by the flash light illuminating the retina in the subject -- the natural color is red, but is always black because it is inside the "camera obuscura" of the eye.

This only happens when the flash is placed very close to the camera lens and is specular in nature --as opposed to diffused -. So the easiest solution is to get an exterior flash that mounts on top of the camera on the hot shoe.

The external flash will give you better --less flat-- lighting effect, and more power, faster recycling times and save your cameras battery time.