• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Werner Heisenberg was

fahim mohammed

stopped by the police for speeding. The policeman asked Heisenberg if he knew how fast he was going. "No," says Heisenberg, "but I do know exactly where I was".

For more of some light hearted fun see here.

Best regards.

p.s. if you are unsure who Heisenberg was..Doug shall help you out.
Thanks Doug.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

stopped by the police for speeding. The policeman asked Heisenberg if he knew how fast he was going. "No," says Heisenberg, "but I do know exactly where I was".

Very clever.

But if Herr Heisenberg were willing to forgo certainty as to where he was, he could not instead be certain as to the speed at which he was traveling unless he knew the mass of the vehicle, as it is momentum, not velocity or speed (the modulus of velocity), that is the "alternative knowable parameter".

This is of course not at all to spoil the cute joke!

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

For those who may be mystified by Fahim's very clever joke, Werner Heisenberg is credited with an important relationship of quantum mechanics, often called the uncertainty principle, which we can simplistically say tells us that the precision with which we can determine the position of a particle, and the precision with which we can determine its momentum (the product of its speed and mass) are in opposition: if we can determine the position at a very high precision, we can determine the momentum to a lesser precision, and vice-versa.

In Fahim's joke, we in effect speak of knowing the position of an object "exactly" (that is, to infinite precision) and thus know the object's momentum (as thus its speed) to no precision whatsoever.

Of course, in the real rigorous application of the principle, we must recognize that we never know, for example, the position of a particle exactly (that is, to infinite precision).

But if we're not that rigorous, it makes a cute joke.

The Heisenberg principle is often confused with the notion that the very act of determining, for example, the position of a particle must necessarily disturb its position (that is, cause uncertainty in its position). The crude model is that if I touch an object with a tape measure to determine its exact position, that will move it a little bit. Of course, the principle is far more subtle than that.

Best regards,

Doug

Three university students are mulling over the future.
Says the Astronomy major,"When I graduate I'll be able to ask questions about stellar evolution."
The Biology student says when I get my degree I'll ask about DNA and the future of life on earth.
And the Photography Arts graduate will be asking ..."Do you want fries with that?"