• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Whale watching last week

Jim Olson

TNX to Puget Sound Express, we did see one whale on our 3 hour tour.
BV6A0756 E16 C16 S16 crop.jpg

BV6A0757 E16 C16 S16 crop.jpg

BV6A0758 E16 C16 S16 crop.jpg

BV6A0759 E16 C16 S16 crop.jpg

BV6A0760 E16 C16 S16 crop.jpg

BV6A0761 E16 C16 S16 crop.jpg

BV6A0762 E16 C16 S16 crop.jpg

BV6A0763 E16 C16 S16 crop.jpg
BV6A0810 E16 C16 S16 crop STR -2.3.jpg

Wow, that's amazing. What a show. I've never seen a real whale in my life, not even in an aquarium but I can see that it must have been exciting to photograph them. Thanks for sharing! :) Maggie

Jim Olson

Wow, that's amazing. What a show. I've never seen a real whale in my life, not even in an aquarium but I can see that it must have been exciting to photograph them. Thanks for sharing! :) Maggie
Yes it was. I had a blast... And my wife says we need to do it again soon. We live 30 min from the boat, so I'm sure we will be back again.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Nice set Jim and nice model too! ;~)

What about lowering the ISO? you're photos are really too "noisy"…

Look, I took the liberty to rework them with Topaz sharpen AI and the 2nd with Topaz Denoise AI :

BV6A0762 E16 C16 S16 crop.jpg

BV6A0810 E16 C16 S16 crop STR -2.3.jpg

You would have better image quality with lower ISO…

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 à 12.28.54.png

Your lens has IS (Image Stab)
So you don't need that speed, 1/8000s! Even for shots from helicopter I don't shoot at this speed…
May I suggest, ƒ4 or ƒ5.6, limit ISO to 400 and take time, hold your breath! get trained :~)

Jim Olson

Nice set Jim and nice model too! ;~)

What about lowering the ISO? you're photos are really too "noisy"…

Look, I took the liberty to rework them with Topaz sharpen AI and the 2nd with Topaz Denoise AI :

View attachment 7438

View attachment 7439

You would have better image quality with lower ISO…

View attachment 7440

Your lens has IS (Image Stab)
So you don't need that speed, 1/8000s! Even for shots from helicopter I don't shoot at this speed…
May I suggest, ƒ4 or ƒ5.6, limit ISO to 400 and take time, hold your breath! get trained :~)
Thank you for your input. I'm still learning and this is great feedback.
I'm still working on the editing program. I wish I had more time to use it, but I do work part-time and we just moved into a (new to us) house in Jan, so lots of things to do around here.

Peter Dexter

Must have been fun to see. The Humpbacks will be migrating along our Pacific coast in August. Much of that coast in Colombia is in Chocó department. Fifty years ago the population there thought that the whales were devils that emitted "smoke" when angry.

Jim Olson

Must have been fun to see. The Humpbacks will be migrating along our Pacific coast in August. Much of that coast in Colombia is in Chocó department. Fifty years ago the population there thought that the whales were devils that emitted "smoke" when angry.
It was fun. We are going to do it again soon. I love living in the Pacific Northwest.